• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.0 engine noise

LoganD28

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer XLT 4.0
I’ve replaced both timing chain tensioners and have done an oil change with full synthetic high mileage oil. I am planning on replacing belt tensioner and idler pulley. What could this noise be? There are 158k miles and she runs mint. The noise happens at operating temperature and is not very noticeable at idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Welcome to the forum!

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I used a $10 mechanics stethoscope to find the source of my engine ‘squeak’. Turned out to be the tensioner.

Can you describe the noise?

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
You need to give us more clues. What kind of noise? Where? Does it change with revs? More details!