4.0 heads problems

bandit_45

Reaction score
City, State
Wiconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 1996 Ford explorer 4.0 2wd 5 Speed
Recently I blow out both head gaskets or intake gasket not for sure which one maybe both but anyways. I decide to have the heads grounded and to my surprise they where both cracked between the intake and exhaust valves. Now I have been having problems with the truck running lean in cold weather
am running the K&N Cold air intake system and also no cats with o2 simlators with flowmaster exhaust. Well right before it started to leak antifreeze from behind the block I had a misfire on number 5 cylinder. Well I thought I would put two and two together and say It must be a head gasket but the funny thing is all cylinders show signs of a little water in each cylinder.Well I order new heads havn't got yet. But I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or close to it.

I have a '96 Eddie that I had some head work done on(4.0 ohv). For some resont the valve seats were sunk in on mine but the machine shop guy(if I remember right) said that he has seen that head crack inbetween the intake and exhaust valves on that motor before. I'm not sure if that helps you at all but it's just a little info.

What part of Wisconsin are you in anyway?

Back