4.0 Horsepower Rebuild?

nak4af

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I have searched this topic profusely and have found vanirtech to be the only supplier of performence parts. Unfortunatly, their website states they will no longer be supplying parts for the 4.0L. Can anyone tell me where I can get performance parts for an engine rebuild? I know Chevy offers over-the-counter parts for the 4.3L that can achieve up to 600hp. Why cant I find this for the 4.0L? I would love to drop a V8 but unfortunatly, emissions will not allow it since it wasn't a factory option.

I am looking for parts such as a better cam, pistions and the like! I like my 4.0 but want it to be more powerful. All the aftermarket mods simply won't allow me to gain the numbers I would like to see. I would love to see 350+hp, maybee 400+ with a supercharger! I'll be even happier if it is more than this! (Much machine work will be a part of this as well)

Is this an achievable goal? Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talk to Doug904, he seems to be one of our resident experts on the 4.0 OHV now. He may also be able to get you the parts.

I can see you getting a new cam, lifter, valvetrain, computer, injectors, MAS, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and ignition system.

If you're gonna get the BBK s/c kit you won't need a new ignition system, but probably should get one if you're gonna go with another s/c or go with high n/a power.

You could swap heads to later model heads to raise compression and make more power, but this would not be good if you're planning on adding a supercharger. I believer there are also better than stock rods and pistons available, but these aren't needed IMO unless you're gonna add a supercharger with the motor in a really high state of tune.

Thanks Alec!

I have never been able to tell which is which. What vehicles have the SOHC and which ones have the OHV?
Exactly what is OHV stand for, and which is better as far as modding is concerned?

OHV is Over Head Valve, the TB cover says 4.0 EFI. The SOHC is Single Over Head Cam.

The OHV starts off with much less power, but makes good torque down low, it's redline is lower, and responds well to mods. It has also had supercharger kits available for years. It was offered from 91-2000 in Explorers.

The SOHC makes more power up high, and in stock form is more of a highway motor. It does have reasonable torque down low though. There are many less mods available for it, but EE is coming out with their s/c kit soon. Offered 97+, the early ones had reliability issues.

One thing you have to think of: If you're looking on routing more than 250 flywheel horsepower through your tranny it is gonna fail. You need to either beef the tranny up with updates and a shift kit, or do a tranny conversion. When I do my rebuild, I'm actually going conservative to try to save the tranny.

you might want to try asking around (dead link) the guys over there should know a lot too.

Thanks again Alec

So your saying I have the OHV then. In my thinking it is like all other older style V6's and V8's with the single cam under the intake manifold.

That sounds like the better deal anyways, at least for a 4X4 application. Now that I know it will make things easier when buying performance parts.

By the way...I have the 5 speed trannie which has been rebuilt and beefed a bit but not extream! It should hold for a while. I will upgrade when it's all said and done.

Also thanks Explorer_2196, I'll try that site and see what I can find!

Back