4.0 litre in an Explorer Needs New Valve Seals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 litre in an Explorer Needs New Valve Seals

Booderman

Reaction score
A friend had salvaged heads installed on his 4.0 in an Explorer. I don't remember what year. He said they did not replace the valve stem seals when they performed the work and now he is losing oil. He wants the valve stem seals replaced and I told him I would look into the job. I've rebuilt many engines but have never worked on the 4.0 Ford. Is the seal replacement a straight forward thing? Remove the valve covers, pressurize the cylinder so the valves don't fall. Remove the valve springs and replace the seals?? Is there more to it? Please educate me so I can help out a friend. Thanks!!

A friend had salvaged heads installed on his 4.0 in an Explorer. I don't remember what year. He said they did not replace the valve stem seals when they performed the work and now he is losing oil. He wants the valve stem seals replaced and I told him I would look into the job. I've rebuilt many engines but have never worked on the 4.0 Ford. Is the seal replacement a straight forward thing? Remove the valve covers, pressurize the cylinder so the valves don't fall. Remove the valve springs and replace the seals?? Is there more to it? Please educate me so I can help out a friend. Thanks!!

As far as I remember, that is all there is too it (except the rocker arms are all connected as an assembly)..

I didn't do mine on the engine last time (the heads were already off).. But I don't remember anything wierd.. I just compressed the spring, took off the keeper, pulled the spring, replaced the seal and put it back together.

~Mark

Back