• Register Today It's free!

4.0 lt SOHC into VH Transit ?

MaxPowerOzzy

Reaction score
City, State
Penguin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 VH Transit 350 2.3lt
Has anyone swapped a 4.0 Lt SOHC V6 out of an Explorer into a 2005 VH Transit ?
My thinking is ;
Keep vehicle all Ford​
More torque and Horspower from stock engine​
Need to tow Tandem Car Trailer with car on it @ decent highway speed (110Klms Australia)​
existing 2.3 Lt 5 Speed petrol engine is becoming problematic with several issues getting more seriaous eveyday, need to keep vehicle on road as need it for work, sick of fixing 2.3 engine !​
Want to keep van 5 speed manual​
Need to keep costs down otherwise just cant afford to do it​
Can do nearly all the work myself - just need help on ECU related stuff !​
Can get 2 complete (not sure on year at the moment - 98-2001) Ford Explorers - both autos - for around $1,000​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factor the cost of replacing all the problematic SOHC timing stuff, the plastic thermostat housing, and things like the lower intake gaskets while one of the 4.0s is out.

Now this would be cool

Will the manual trans bolt up?

Factor the cost of replacing all the problematic SOHC timing stuff, the plastic thermostat housing, and things like the lower intake gaskets while one of the 4.0s is out.
Yes have already done some research on these issues, relatively minor stuff and easy to fix when engine out obviously.
I am hoping to use my existing 5 speed box but am looking for info on bolt patterns etc, but I do have history on custom conversions many moons ago !
the hard bit might be the clutch n flywheel - will neeed to work on that !

Now this would be cool
Apparently there was a Transit (virtually the same as mine) around the same year released in America but with 4x4 and with the 4.0Lt SOHC engine ! - I have notbeen able to get more info on it though !

Very unlikely you’ll be able to use your transmission. If it’s a typical Ford 2.3 it won’t fit the 4.0.

Is your mind set that you only want to swap a 4.0L into the van?

What issues have you had / are having with the 2.3 ? And how many miles are on it ?

What issues have you had / are having with the 2.3 ? And how many miles are on it ?
Had a problem with blocked Catalytic converter which slightly damaged exhaust valves, pulled head - did usual and refit - bloody timing chain tensioner in these are a bloody nightmare - cannot be relaesed have to buy new evertime - if it pops out during install you have to go buy a new one ! - everything else went ok - but the plastic intake manifolds are **** and crack - everywhere ! - repaired several cracks but now it has cracked in the centre and leaks water from cooling system ! - no fixing it again and over $1400 for a new one let alone fitting it - real mongrel to get at let alone working in a very awkward engine bay ! - the engine itself is good really just lacks enough power.
I need to be able to tow with this so I have considered a turbo upgrade but the intake would have to be replaced with a custom one to take the boost. So an engine transplant is really the next option - I hate the Holden V6 engine, its just ****, you can get a full kit to fit it but no thanks on that - so next option is a decent size V6 -= the Ford SOHC 4 litre V6 from an Explorer _ I can buy 2 complete 4x4 Explorers for $1,000, only need a flywheel & pressure plate and build an adapter (maybe).

Man I like this thread. Really dig your attitude and all of it. Call me crazy but I feel just a touch of controllable mad max going on in here.

What other Ford based EFI engines are available there? no pushrod v8 to choose from?

Timing chain issues ( rear cassette life 75k miles) and plastic manifold there on 4.0l also.

Man I like this thread. Really dig your attitude and all of it. Call me crazy but I feel just a touch of controllable mad max going on in here.

What other Ford based EFI engines are available there? no pushrod v8 to choose from?

Timing chain issues ( rear cassette life 75k miles) and plastic manifold there on 4.0l also.
Plenty to choose from - our rules state that you must use a same year or newer engine and must retain all pollution crap on it !.
You can use a 302 V8 given HP output in place of - up to 2.4 Turbo Diesel due to torque levels.
you can use a EFI V8 from the late 80's & 90's Falcons - hard to find due to being highly sought after for replica V8 Supercars (racecars here).
Or you can use pretty much any engine but HP level & torque ratings come into it !, it must be engineered and passed by approved inspection stations too.
Yes - on the Mad Max bit - one of my old bosses used to calll me Mad Max ! - maybe due to me being a major petrol head and look a little like Mad Max ! - not too mention what I get up to on my bike or cars !

A 2.0L ecoboost would fit in place of the 2.3, bolt up to the transmission, use the same motor mounts, give you more torque, hp than the 4.0L V6 would.

Back