Travisfab

GoFastExplorers
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SD, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Another
I need to pull a cam sensor out of a 94 & swap it to another motor. Any tips or advice on the removal/install would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the upper intake plenum
Takes 15-30 minutes
Makes life so much easier

To install it is the same ol thing, cyl 1 tdc on compression stroke, drop new synchronizer in place using alignment tool

Any tips on getting cylinder 1 to TDC? So far this is all I’ve found. I’m also kind of lost on the tool. I think Autozone has a kit I’ll try to rent.

Pull spark plug from cyl 1, I usually go above the passenger tire access the hole directly.

Wet finger and place in the hole.
Turn engine over by using 19mm socket on crank damper, turn clockwise (having helper is great but not needed)
When air pushes PAST your wet finger you are on compression stroke
Now you can watch (flashlight) the piston travel up.... bring it right to the top when it just starts to drop back down.... that is TDC compression stroke. Now check the marks on the balancer, the pointer on the engine crank sensor will point right at the 0 on the balancer. Confirmed TDC cyl 1 compression stroke

Could really use some help on this one. I can’t seem to find the right alignment tool. This one seems like it’s correct, but it doesn’t slide in because of the sensor mounts

7C8CB45D-229E-44E8-BA48-03CD07B9AF56.jpeg 58BA092F-B9CF-4A58-BE4B-0D30F611738F.jpeg

take pic of that cam synchronizer from the top
no alignment tool
I want to see the flag

if your 94-95 cam sensor has the glass window
I have the real instructions for you hang on

171_071710_240000000.jpg

171_071710_240000001.jpg
171_071710_250000002.jpg

Knowledge is power!!

There is a thread here on EF somewhere....... it was actually earlier this year I believe, where this was discussed in detail
the 94-95 cam sensor w the glass window
I have heard it can be replaced with a 96 style sensor??..........some soldering might be required :)
would love to find that thread
In the meantime this is what I have on setting one up...... PITA

Back