4.0 ohv cam specs and discussion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv cam specs and discussion

So, my low compression cylinder that was made a bit better with a head rebuild is giving me issues again. Random cyl #2 misfires, and shaky motor. Im leaving power on the table and lower gas mileage. Im sure the forced induction didn't help my rings any either.

I've almost talked myself in to rebuilding the bottom end JD4242 is being very helpful in pushing me to this. Tim in Selkirk has also offered to help me with a ohv motor that I can use to rebuild to reduce down time.

So, time to discuss a cam. What works best for mileage and power in a forced induction environment.

Here is a quick comparison on cams:
Part# adv. Dur .050 dur. Valve lift lobe sep.
http://www.camcraft-cams.com
144-0206 202/206 .496/.532 110
144-0610 206/210 .532/.532 111

Comp cams
49-410-8 201/210 .465/.500 112
49-422-8 215/224 .500/.500 112

I like the comp cams because they have more separation, but that camcraft cam is close in separation, but has pretty solid lift. Obviously dual springs would be required.

Thoughts guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone wonder how the extra .032 lift would be on the ohv? Binding issues. I'll have to call camcraft and discuss it with them.

I've never heard or seen anyone run a camcraft cam.i didnt even know they made them for the ohv.for FI i know you don't wanna go to big or have to much overlap.i would just stick with the 422,i run it and many others have with FI and it has worked great.doesn't sacrifice to much low end or idle issues.the smaller came aren't even worth the money for a performance build.what are the specs of that cam you have now?

O also depending on the head and piston combo you go with,a cam with over .500 lift with cause the ohv to become a interface motor.so if something breaks in the valve train your be putting a valve thro the piston:(

Ah, the cam I have now is the delta cams stage 1. Probably the 410 cam. It's true, I don't want overlap on the lobes. The extra lift did catch my attention though.

Ah, the camera I have now is the delta cams stage 1. Probably the 410 cam. It's true, I don't want overlap on the lobes. The extra lift did catch my attention though.

Haaha auto correct""the camera ""
yea the lift caught mine too.i didnt think a lobe that big would fit through the cam bearing holes in the motor.for the 422 cam they make the base circle so small to be able to get. .500 and still fit,i don't see how that big of a cam would even go in.im sure the over lap is alot to.

autocorrect fixed(stupid autocorrect). I emailed comp cams for a cam recomendation. I read a post elsewhere that comp cams has tons of different grinds they can make. I'll be interested in their response based on my specs.

autocorrect fixed(stupid autocorrect). I emailed comp cams for a cam recomendation. I read a post elsewhere that comp cams has tons of different grinds they can make. I'll be interested in their response based on my specs.

It will be interesting .did you include rocker ratio and valve size?

Valve size I just said 'Factory'. Rocker ratio of 1.5 I included just becaude I knew what it was.

Well our valves are so small that it plays a roll in cam specs .hardest part is not getting alot of overlap and the small bearing hole(there is another name for it but cant think of it right now)

Back