4.0 OHV eaton m90 supercharger help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV eaton m90 supercharger help

Hey so I am soon to be acquiring a eaton m90 supercharger with a custom intake plenum for the OHV 4.0 and am thinking of running it at about 6-7 psi I know their is things that are needed for proper tuning such as bigger fuel injectors but what else would I need any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Your in to places like ebay, www.sccoa.com, forums.corral.net
I'd guess your looking for a used set.

These are new:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Giant...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4614d57893&vxp=mtr

Those are the wrong style or atleast for early ohv.

There is tons on ebay for old thunderbirds and mustangs..here is the type you need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38lb-Ford-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c81f96526&vxp=mtr

EDITED the link with wrong type of injectors***

^^^Thanks JD^^^

Ah Jd, just the facts.
I'll chime in with Vroomoomboom and jd4242 on the costs of what you are about to experience. It will make a grown man cry.

injectors

the injectors in jd4242's first link are for throttle body injection not port injection.Look at the oring on it. Wont work.

The second ones are single pintle, not as good as 4 hole design. 4 hole design is better for atomization and when larger injectors are installed the 4 hole design has a better chance of still working during lower rpms.

There are high and low resistance injectors, if you install low resistance injectors in a high resistance injector pcm you will damage it. You need to measure the resistance of the old ones in your vehicle. My guess is that they are high resistance but a guess isn't good enough. Measure the resistance of the old ones.

The injectors can have different lengths so you should measure them for that as well before ordering.

If your rpm is only 5200 then

CID 244 x RPM 5200 x VE.85 x PR1.48 / 3456 = 462CFM

462CFM x .44298 = 205 / 4.8 = 42.7
42.7 lb hr injectors

O and anything over 5 psi you better be looking into a intercooler

and that there kiddies is when the hood gets chopped....unless you have a body lift

Hood scoop

I have the ugliest hood scoop. I am waiting for vroomzoomboom to make an awesome looking one. Otherwise I am stuck with this ugly thing.

the injectors in jd4242's first link are for throttle body injection not port injection.Look at the oring on it. Wont work.

The second ones are single pintle, not as good as 4 hole design. 4 hole design is better for atomization and when larger injectors are installed the 4 hole design has a better chance of still working during lower rpms.

There are high and low resistance injectors, if you install low resistance injectors in a high resistance injector pcm you will damage it. You need to measure the resistance of the old ones in your vehicle. My guess is that they are high resistance but a guess isn't good enough. Measure the resistance of the old ones.

The injectors can have different lengths so you should measure them for that as well before ordering.

If your rpm is only 5200 then

CID 244 x RPM 5200 x VE.85 x PR1.48 / 3456 = 462CFM

462CFM x .44298 = 205 / 4.8 = 42.7
42.7 lb hr injectors
Aww good eye.yea I was just posting the first ones that came up on ebay.all the rebuilt OE Bosch are probably going to be one hole, may have to look at new ones to get more holes.

42 would drown a 200ish hp v6 and idle/ cruise would SUCK..even at 10 lbs I had PLENTY left with my 36s and still plan to run them when I up my boost to 16, but I am upping my fuel psi so basically they will flow like 42s

Hoods

All for the Ranger, nothing for the Explorer except for explorer express.
I wouldn't mind paying 470 for a hood if I knew it was going to fit. They want 460 plus crate fee of 37.00 and then it says call for shipping price and final charges. Shipping price and final charges? I don't know if it would even fit with my engine sticking out through the hood I have now. lol.
Doesn't even come painted!

All for the Ranger, nothing for the Explorer except for explorer express.
I wouldn't mind paying 470 for a hood if I knew it was going to fit. They want 460 plus crate fee of 37.00 and then it says call for shipping price and final charges. Shipping price and final charges? I don't know if it would even fit with my engine sticking out through the hood I have now. lol.
Doesn't even come painted!

Yea thats just crazy..I wouldnt pay that either..I think mine for the ranger came to $280ish shipped..think the OP is putting the sc on his 93 ranger so he may luck out.that is ""if"" he can or will run a IC.he would be crazy not to tho with 7psi and a ""slight increase in compression""OBD1 Is hard enough to tune and definitely doesnt have any knock sensors or anything

yeah like i know hes done work just dont believe those numbers based on bigger cam, p&p, ducked heads to up the compression, valve spring upgrade, push rod upgrade, headers, upper intake switched to the newer plastic style, bored .030, and an intake i figure around the 225hp mark maby asides from that im more focused upon the supercharger side of things and what i require to properly set it up so it will perform properly at 7 psi max i rly dont wanna go over that

boost as performance indicator

In my opinion boost is a poor performance indicator. Reducing exhaust restrictions will increase airflow and performance but decrease measured boost. Unfortunately, with your OBD-I system boost will be your only available performance measurement other than acceleration times. I have a vacuum/boost gauge on my 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon so I speak from experience. Your tuner will use AFR and dyno rwhp and rwtq to tune for best performance. Once you leave the dyno the boost gauge will be your only instrumentation.

I think a correct load calculation is a good performance indicator for a boosted engine. The PCM calculates load by dividing the measured air charge into a cylinder by the theoretical maximum charge without boost. The intake air mass as measured by the MAF sensor is used to calculate air charge. With OBD-II load (as well as hundreds of other parameters) are available for display or recording.

If you just install the supercharger and make no other changes (injector flow rate, blower pulley size, etc.) after it is tuned then you will probably be satisfied with OBD-I. If you make changes you will be forced to return to the dyno to take full advantage of each change.

Before you do anything you need to see if anyone can dyno tune a sct chip thats obd1 around your area.if not your screwed. You can not remote tune it, it has to be dyno tuned.once you find a place, describe your setup and plans.ask him what he suggest for size of maf and injectors. He should be your final word, we can suggest all day long but in the end its what he wants and feels will work..

But certainly dont tell him your NA motor is making the power your saying or you will misslead him and if he is a good tunner he will know its not true.remember the ohv stock makes 160hp at the crank, thats around 140 hp to the ground in a 5speed 2wd..cam adds about 25-30hp max, higher compression adds about 10hp, unless you see studs on the valve cover and exhaust it hasnt been ported to where it adds any significant power so say 5hp and everything else you listed doesnt add power.so looking at about a 45-50 hp increase MAX on a good day.for boost your be LUCKY to see 10 hp per pound of boost, so at 7lbs your see probably less than 70hp increase MAX..so you can do the math..

yeah like if i can get 300 hp awsome but tbh id be more than happy with sitting around the 250 hp mark with good torque seeing as ill be useing it for 4wd purposes which is why im going with the roots style supercharger for the instant boost vs the rest which have a lag i.e.. turbos n vortech chargers

yeah like if i can get 300 hp awsome but tbh id be more than happy with sitting around the 250 hp mark with good torque seeing as ill be useing it for 4wd purposes which is why im going with the roots style supercharger for the instant boost vs the rest which have a lag i.e.. turbos n vortech chargers

You wont hit 250 with a 4wd setup..I GUARANTEE that..you will like the power and torque though, dyno numbers really dont mean anything. .

But like I said, first find someone to tune it or your wasting your time and money

i dont expect to hit 250 hp while in 4wd lol id just like to have 250 at the crank and yeah thats what im hopeing for is lots of low end power and i just talk to the guys in our shop here at work and they said they may know of a buddy of theirs that could do it ill talk more with them at lunch but if so then im on the right path

Unless you're lucky, there probably won't be any 4WD dynos in your area.

He wont need to dyno In 4wd, its not awd or full time 4wd.but he will be lucky to find someone to tune it.I only found one in my entire state.next was in MD which is way to far to drive on a base tune, thats pretty important also

Back