4.0 OHV EGR

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Hello all,

I am in the process of replacing the motor in my blown 94 Explorer Limited. I see a lot of the non EGR motors out there as opposed to those equipped with EGR. I believe mine is. How horribly convoluted will putting a non egr equpped motor in my Explorer be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The exhaust manifolds, upper and lower intakes and anything else you have on your 94 that is not on the replacement. 94 was the first year for the sequential injection, before that was batch-fire. That means that you have the cam synchronizer at the back left of the block. This also drives the oil pump and is a plug in earlier blocks. the Synchronizer must be transferred to the new engine and timed for the injectors to work correctly.

Earlier engines had head cracking so if you can find a later year engine it is better. Just be aware there are some problems mixing different engine years and head years. Small/large combustion chambers and flat/dished pistons.

The exhaust manifolds, upper and lower intakes and anything else you have on your 94 that is not on the replacement. 94 was the first year for the sequential injection, before that was batch-fire. That means that you have the cam synchronizer at the back left of the block. This also drives the oil pump and is a plug in earlier blocks. the Synchronizer must be transferred to the new engine and timed for the injectors to work correctly.

Earlier engines had head cracking so if you can find a later year engine it is better. Just be aware there are some problems mixing different engine years and head years. Small/large combustion chambers and flat/dished pistons.

Thank you for the explanation, that was helpful. I've since decided to go 5.0/4R70W since I was able to get a great deal on a swap out of a 96 Explorer. The price of a 4.0 coincidentally enough was more than the engine, trans, harness and matching PCM I was able to secure.

You can put any year OHV 4.0 in there The EGR is all done with plumbing outside of the long block. The OHV 4.0 was used from 1990-2001, 94+ had EGR
You can take ANY 4.0 pushrod and strip it down to the long block which is just the block and heads, then dress it up with your 94 intakes and accessories, keeping your 94 egr setup.
As mentioned your 94 if it has EGR it has a CAM sensor, so you must retain the cam sensor/synchronizer.......... all 95+ 4.0 OHV had a cam synchro so no real issues there.

In 98-01 the OHV had a 8 bolt crank, otherwise identical to your 94 engine as far as the long block is concerned
The 98+ OHV engines are VERY GOOD engine with lots of updates to the cooling passages and heads when compared to your early 94 block
We routinely put later model OHV engines into earlier trucks in fact Ihave a 94 Ranger downstairs that just got a 99 OHV engine installed

Just the opposite boat. I have a 94 Non-EGR 4.0 that I'm putting in my BII and need the wire harness/PCM for it, they are scarce around here, haven't found a donor yet ..(

ahhhhhhh try to find a 93-94 Explorer in the junk yard or private parts parting out grab the entire engine and transmission harness with the computer

You can put any year OHV 4.0 in there The EGR is all done with plumbing outside of the long block. The OHV 4.0 was used from 1990-2001, 94+ had EGR
You can take ANY 4.0 pushrod and strip it down to the long block which is just the block and heads, then dress it up with your 94 intakes and accessories, keeping your 94 egr setup.
As mentioned your 94 if it has EGR it has a CAM sensor, so you must retain the cam sensor/synchronizer.......... all 95+ 4.0 OHV had a cam synchro so no real issues there.

In 98-01 the OHV had a 8 bolt crank, otherwise identical to your 94 engine as far as the long block is concerned
The 98+ OHV engines are VERY GOOD engine with lots of updates to the cooling passages and heads when compared to your early 94 block
We routinely put later model OHV engines into earlier trucks in fact Ihave a 94 Ranger downstairs that just got a 99 OHV engine installed

I'm sorry to dig this thread but I want to pick your mind for a minute. The 5.0 deal didn't go down because the yard has not been able to find the parts. Say I want to go this way with the later model engine. I strip down to use the updated engine with my existing components. I'm obviously going to replace all gaskets while engine is out. My basic understanding is use plenum gaskets for my existing intake, and valve cover down is going to be 98+ correct?

Yes
If I re seal a 98 ohv engine to go into a 93 truck I use only the 98 block and heads.
An engine that is just a block and heads is called a "long block"
So you strip the engine down to the "long block" and re seal it and dress it to be a 93 OHV engine.
I would use 98 style head gaskets, lower intake gasket
Everything else, the fuel rail, injectors, valve covers, timing cover, water pump will all be 1993 style.
There are some things to know like 1993 has no EGR and no CAM sensor....so you will have to use the 93 exhaust manifolds, and just leave the later model cam sensor in place but not hooked up.
1998-2000 ohv engines had a 8 bolt crank so your 93 flywheel/flexplate will not bolt up...parts are easy enough to get
The 97+ OHV (I believe, from memory here) uses "Clean burn" heads which are rumored to cause some issues when used with earlier computers or something along those lines, this has never been an issue for me as I have repowered many many many early ranger based trucks using later model ohv engines without issue.........but I read about this issue so you should too, be informed!

I believe the 93 block will be to be used, the newer style will need some work to be used in a 93 chassis.

I absolutely recommend using the new heads on the 93 block; just remembered that the resulting compression bump will REQUIRE premium, FOREVER (you ask me, that's a GOOD thing).

nope
any year 4.0 ohv can go in there.......................you just use the block and heads and dress it to be a 93

If you get a later year engine make sure you get as much of the Cam Sensor wiring harness as you can. The later years are functionally the same but have a different connector with the same color wires. I am running a 96 Cam Sensor in my 94 with no problem.

I have repowered many many many early ranger based trucks using later model ohv engines without issue

Just curious if you can feel a differnece in how it runs. I read that the newer motors are supposed to run smoother.

They do not run smoother? I mean I had a 93 4.0 under the hood of my BII for 12+ years....it ran smooth like butter and with some breathing mods it really motivated the little BII
I just could not keep auto transmissions together, I was considering more power via a supercharger for years and then decided just to go v8 to get the better half ton trans.
The 4.0 has always been a "smooth" runner under my hood :)
The 98+ ohv's do have some nice internal upgrades to the heads, coolant passages, the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe are superior to the old 90-94 pushrod v6, it is ALWAYS a good idea to replace one of the early 4.0 with a later model one IMO, the early heads were just so prone to cracking. I do prefer a metal intake under my hood, the old aluminum intakes can be ported and polished, you cannot do that with plastic :)

Back