4.0 ohv in a 88 ranger??

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Looking into putting a 4.0 in my brothers 88 ranger. Now i believe from what ive heard this is a pretty direct swap. Just wanna make sure its a simple as i think it is before i start to shop for engine and harness and all that good stuff. Its already a manual so i will keep it a manual of course. Any input or advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for a a thread on the same conversion in 410Fortune's Bronco II. Should be almost identical to your year Ranger.

it will be a piece of cake, i have a 96 4.0 in my 88

use a 93 Explorer wiring harness and PCM, the entire power distribution system, etc

The 4.0L is MAS and DIS, your 2.9L is not

What transmissions do both trucks have? (donor and 88)

The 4.0L will basically bolt in and up, but there is alot of wiring to do and a few things like exhaust, fuel lines, and charging system that will need some modifications.

The end result is *****in.

I dont think I have a thread on this forum from my conversion it was MANY years ago, but there are alot of threads on here that discuss this. And many resources online for this swap.

Feel free to ask me questions, I have done quite a few gen I trucks to 4.0L OHV, I have much of the wiring memorized....

Back