4.0 ohv misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv misfire

t0rr3ad0rr3d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 xls with the 4.0 v6, I've been having issues with a p304 code off & on while I've owned the truck but now I'm having a bigger issue, I now have a p303 & p304 (cylinders 3 & 4 misfiring) and I don't know what is causing this & wanted to know if anyone else has had the same issues? Thanks for your expertise on the matter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might be the coil pack, on top of the intake, or the plug wires,,

I knew I was forgetting something when I made this thread, about a week maybe a week & a half ago I did have a plug in the #4 cylinder changed cause it was "cracked" I had a shop 1st tell me that I got a batch of bad gas & was causing some of my problem but I'm not 100% sure this may be the case. What if anything would cause a plug to crack? I talked with a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for over 30 years & he told me that I may have some internal issues with the motor but I wanted to get some more input before I jump off the deepend with this issue.

Start from square one and replace ALL of the plugs and wires on your own.

It's easy enough to do on your own.

Buy genuine FORD wires from Rock Auto.com - around $50 a set.

I've used Bosch wires because you can get a set for around $20 - but I feel that they aren't as good as the OEM FORD wires. Just my opinion...

Get some Bosch double platinum plugs, dielectric grease, and anti-seize at your local auto parts store.

Pay attention to coil pack cylinder numbering.

Use dielectric grease on BOTH spark plug wire ends - as it reduces the chance for crossfiring. Especially in WET weather. LOTS of people skip this important step...

Use anti-seize on the spark plug threads to reduce the chance of cross threading and for ease of removal down the line.

Take your time - work without distractions.

Good luck!

PS - Cracked plug was from the last person that changed the plugs.

The plugs are THIN, and require finesse when doing the final tightening as that's when it happens.

I like to screw in a few turns, then back out a half a turn, then screw in a few more turns, and back off a half turn, until I get it torqued down. The in and out turns break any dirt that is binding the spark plug threads. Sometimes the "load" you feel while torquing down is DIRT. Spark plugs on a V type engine are in a dirty area - under the valve covers.

If you're using a universal joint connected to the spark plug socket, and you're working with tight angles, be careful to keep the socket in axis with the plug, or it'll crack the ceramic insulator....

Good luck!

Thanks for the info & the idea on how to correct my issue with the misfires I'm experiencing, I'll post up how I made out correcting this situation

success!!! tracked down the issue with the truck, the #4 plug was soaked with gas & only put out a weak spark and the #3 plug porcelin was cracked replaced both plug & now she runs like a champ!!! thanks again for all your assistance in this matter

I'm glad to help! - the past 5 years I've owned my Explorer I've gotten so much help off this site!

Back