• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv oil and coolant leak

rtrem

Reaction score
City, State
NEW YORK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Ok, this is my first post so bear with me. Here's my situation. 97, 4.0 ohv engine had a bad coolant leak.White steam out tailpipe. Engine did not overheat or run out of coolant.Driver's side head was cracked.Purchase use heads.Had them planed and pressure tested buy a well known machine shop.
They looked beautiful. Installed new head gasket,lower intake gasket.Torqued to specs. Engine started right up.Now I have cylinders #1,2 and three spark plugs are soaked with oil and cylinder #2 has coolant coming out of it. Spark plugs in cylinders 4 ,5 and 6 look good.Compression test:
cylinder#1-170 lbs
#2-170
#3-160
Engine did not burn oil or have fouled plugs prior to this.Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gasket problem most likely as in the head gaskets are installed incorrectly.I don't know if it is possible with this engine as I have never worked on the internals of one.But head gaskets usually have a left and right with different oil and coolant passages.
If you flip one over,thus switching the left to right they won't seal.Maybe intake gaskets,hard to say with out seeing it but I would bet one of the gaskets A) failed or B) was installed incorrectly.:D

Well I found some lose bolts on the lower intake.Took it apart and found the intake gasket not sealed on the side that was leaking. Cleaned and installed new gasket.
Retorqued bolts to specs.Hopefully that was it. Will find out tomorrow when I get the
rest of it put back together.

Okay, got everything back together.Used extra rtv on the ends where the block is and
around the water jackets.Used indian head gasket maker also.Made sure lower intake was
torqued down nice and tight this time.Fired it up no more oil or white steam from tailpipe.
Yea!!!!

Back