4.0 OHV to 347 swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV to 347 swap

Im really considering a 347 swap, looking at around 400 HP or so with a 4bbl carb on an engine dyno. My question is will the stock 5.0 explorer EFI handle this kind of power? Of course all the upgrades, TB, injectors etc. Im not sure of the cam specs but I will find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw the part about the balancer, and yes that is something Ill have to figure out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please be patient with us, we will do the same. There have been dozens of new members come along wondering many of the same questions that you have asked here. We try to be helpful, check out Jon's truck if you can read that much. He has done more than most people know to his truck, and the stock PCM, and programming, have been running it for longer than I have been here. There are many examples here to follow, and many more planning similar projects. Night,

I answered the original post in my very first post. I also agree with Jon, the stock fuel rails are nearing the limit if you actually get much near and over 400hp.

I am at that power level with FI (which takes more fuel than a NA engine) and I haven't had problems with fuel flow.

I am at that power level with FI (which takes more fuel than a NA engine) and I haven't had problems with fuel flow.

Yep, judging by the looks of the stocker rails I pulled off that 97 5.0 Explorer I did some work on I would say that they can support a decent amount of fuel flow. EASILY 400hp N/A and quite probably over 500 hp as well without problems.

Fuel pump, injectors, and adj. FPR would be good to swap as the stock ones will not live up to the task.

iceman7329....I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about as soon as I read your post.

I was just reading the T&L ad again....it's 430hp/444tq. But keep in mind that you have a 5,000 lb SUV, not a 2500 lb Mustang. That 347 would put a stripped Fox body in the 10's. You will barely break into the 12's with the same motor in your X. I would inquire about getting more torque down low, under 3200.

A few things I have thought of, but haven't had $5k in my pocket long enough to act upon it...
1)You might have to give T&L a Explorer Balancer, pulley and flexplate (or flywheel), and have the crank balanced with it on there
2) You will also have to supply them with the SN95/Explorer Front cover and water pump.
3) Find out what the exhaust port configuration is on the Dart Pro1 Heads
5) Have a set of TorqueMonster Headers made to fit the Dart Pro1 Heads
6) Have the motor dyno'd with the TorqueMonster headers. Not the full, equal length headers they normally use.

If your worried about fuel, aftermarket 5.0L fuel rails are cheap enough....drop in a Walbro pump and use an adjustable FPR.

Ryan

iceman7329....I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about as soon as I read your post.

What bearing does your happening to understand that post have on the point I made? As I said before, it can easily be interpreted as something else based upon the wording. Just because you happened to understand it correctly does not mean that it was easily understandable altogether. That is obviously the case as I am definitely not a noob by any measure of the term and I had a hard time understanding what final configuration he was planning to run.

If people want the correct answers then they need to ask questions that are more easily understood instead of jumbling two thoughts into one sentence. I do not want to make this much of an issue here but it gets bothersome when people ask questions in this manner.

Back