4.0 OHV to 347 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV to 347 swap

Im really considering a 347 swap, looking at around 400 HP or so with a 4bbl carb on an engine dyno. My question is will the stock 5.0 explorer EFI handle this kind of power? Of course all the upgrades, TB, injectors etc. Im not sure of the cam specs but I will find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, I think he meant the stock Explorer 5.0 engine itself not the EFI system itself or the tuning. The stock Explorer 5.0 engine should handle 400 hp at the crank just fine when stroked out to 347 cubes.

No Im talking about the EFI system. Ive got an engine in mind already to use. I have to pass emissions so the OBD2 system still has to function properly.

Ported, the GT40 setup will make that much power.

The engine is built and makes the power. Thats not my problem...

Well then matching the Explorer balancer, an intake manifold, MAF, TB, and injectors will be the only hurdles. The tuning can be done to handle just about any combination, given the capable fueling and air sensors. You can do the fuel pump easily, Jon has 42pound injectors, you'll need something close to those, the matching type to your chosen PCM year range.

Match a proper intake to your rpm range. If you stay at a 5000rpm or so shift point, use a stock Explorer intake, or the many other which are no better for the rpm. If you want a less street able higher rpm engine, then look at the Victor 5.0 intake, that is the bench mark for drag racing fuel injected 302 based engines.

The balancer should be your first priority. Is the engine really complete yet, because the balancer must have the Explorer crank trigger wheel on it. If it is not yet assembled(balanced), you can much more easily address the balancer. There is no bolt on 28oz. balancer, which is likely what a stroker needs. I'm hoping for a solution myself, I have a stranger up North working towards that. I should hear from him or call him back this week. Hopefully the trick is to select the proper 28oz. balancer which has the back side material to easily adapt the trigger wheel onto it. The creation of a spacer to properly bolt on a 94/95 Mustang crank pulley seems to be a minor issue. Regards,

No Im talking about the EFI system. Ive got an engine in mind already to use. I have to pass emissions so the OBD2 system still has to function properly.

Um, how in the heck are you going to run the EFI (electronic fuel injection) system when you mentioned running a carb in your first post. One or the other, not both. :salute:

Um, how in the heck are you going to run the EFI (electronic fuel injection) system when you mentioned running a carb in your first post. One or the other, not both. :salute:

Um, I said run on an engine dyno with a carb.

Based on my research, and reading this thread, I would say:

Iceman7372 is looking at buying the T&L 347 Stroker motor. On their dyno, and confirmed by a couple of Mustang Magazines, that motor makes roughly 415hp.

On the Dyno (you get the video, and dyno sheet of YOUR MOTOR in the dyno room) they install a 4bbl intake, and carb.

He will not be purchasing the carb/intake combo from T&L. He will be using the Ford Explorer EFI set-up.

Right?

Ryan

Hot damn this guy is right on the money. I spoke with them and would be going up there to watch the engine run on the dyno in person also.

Have a camshaft chosen for your vehicle, not the dyno, or a Mustang. Let a camshaft expert select the cam, they know how to do that, we/you do not. Good luck,

Im not building anything. Its done, its a T&L engine. But I play with tuning on TBI chevys and I know you cant get to crazy with the cam with those. So I figured the engine might have to big a cam to run with the EFI. And yes I do know how to select a cam. I know a fair amount, just not so much about the Ford EFI.

My point is that no one here can pick a camshaft, that is for experts, cam techs. All cam companies have free tech support, there recommendations are always better than ours. Please do not be arrogant enough to think that you are the one non expert here who can pick a cam as well as the experts. Acknowledging that you don't know enough to choose one as well, that is a sign of intelligence.

The EFI doesn't affect to any degree the best choices for cams, compression, or anything else. EFI simply does a far better job of providing proper A/F ratios and ignition timing, than any carburetor and old distributor ignition. Regards,

You want to see the 5-6 page write up Ive done on cams? I know a fair amount more then you might think. And the cam does play a part in being able to run EFI on the engine.

And besides that, you people are going WAY off topic here. All I needed to know was if the EFI system used in these truck was capable of supporting 400+ HP.

My point is that no one here can pick a camshaft, that is for experts, cam techs. All cam companies have free tech support, there recommendations are always better than ours. Please do not be arrogant enough to think that you are the one non expert here who can pick a cam as well as the experts. Acknowledging that you don't know enough to choose one as well, that is a sign of intelligence.

The EFI doesn't affect to any degree the best choices for cams, compression, or anything else. EFI simply does a far better job of providing proper A/F ratios and ignition timing, than any carburetor and old distributor ignition. Regards,

Very good Don-
You guys should not be afraid to pick up the phone and give these Cam company's a call. They have experts who are paid to talk to you--
you can get a lot of info in about 10 minutes--

And besides that, you people are going WAY off topic here. All I needed to know was if the EFI system used in these truck was capable of supporting 400+ HP.

I think it is--fuel rails are iffy--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I answered the original post in my very first post. I also agree with Jon, the stock fuel rails are nearing the limit if you actually get much over 400hp.

Read the post I made again, you neglected to note the important subject of the Explorer balancer. Regards,

Back