4.0 OHV V6 light performance "optimization" build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV V6 light performance "optimization" build

KevinSonOfDad

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda B4000 4WD
Looking for any advice on a build I'm looking to do. My rangers stock 4.0 is getting pretty worn out at almost 250k miles. I'm looking to get a junkyard engine and rebuild it in my spare time (I work a full time job as a engine machinist so i have access to the equipment) I'm mainly looking to "optimize" the performance rather than boost it much. In saying this I mean things like improving factory flow with a port and polish as well as upgraded heads. what other mods would you all suggest? looking for closer to 200hp than 100 ;). I have considered maybe the 410 or 422 cam: what other mods would have to be made to accommodate those and what are the benefits of each.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking for any advice on a build I'm looking to do. My rangers stock 4.0 is getting pretty worn out at almost 250k miles. I'm looking to get a junkyard engine and rebuild it in my spare time (I work a full time job as a engine machinist so i have access to the equipment) I'm mainly looking to "optimize" the performance rather than boost it much. In saying this I mean things like improving factory flow with a port and polish as well as upgraded heads. what other mods would you all suggest? looking for closer to 200hp than 100 ;). I have considered maybe the 410 or 422 cam: what other mods would have to be made to accommodate those and what are the benefits of each.
horsepower or torque? imo for these i would choose torque. but for HP, 422 cam good flow, and i wonder if the later 95tm heads would work iirx they got a small compressiok boost. supersix has lots of good stuff for the ohv and so does tom morana. check out both sites! also can probably supercharge it

horsepower or torque? imo for these i would choose torque. but for HP, 422 cam good flow, and i wonder if the later 95tm heads would work iirx they got a small compressiok boost. supersix has lots of good stuff for the ohv and so does tom morana. check out both sites! also can probably supercharge it
thinking a little boost to both. not looking for a super crazy build as this is still a daily just spicing it up a bit.

Are you aware of what length the new pushrods would have to be for the 422 cam? if not do you know how i measure it?

Are you aware of what length the new pushrods would have to be for the 422 cam? if not do you know how i measure it?
iirc 5.550 for the 422, but hopefully someone else can confirm.

the 422 cam is good for high HP, but for these for a DD id choose the 410 cam for torque. but i wont steer you away form the HP! your earlier head iirc maybe had a slightly larger intake port, so maybe port an polish that one. the 98tm ones though do have a round exhaust port, which makes for a slight boost their, so pick which you like betwen those. i was wrong in my first post theyre all 9:1, no compression boost there,

the 422 cam will work in an otherwise stock engine, but to get the most tuning will be needed, especially in a boost application.

between these you should get good power out of it imo! as far as bolt ons iirc bbk make a 66mm tb and larger maf. iirc there were stroker kits for these too for a bit of extra power, was it a 4.2 stroker? dont quite remember/dont have enough knowledge on it

iirc 5.550 for the 422, but hopefully someone else can confirm.

the 422 cam is good for high HP, but for these for a DD id choose the 410 cam for torque. but i wont steer you away form the HP! your earlier head iirc maybe had a slightly larger intake port, so maybe port an polish that one. the 98tm ones though do have a round exhaust port, which makes for a slight boost their, so pick which you like betwen those. i was wrong in my first post theyre all 9:1, no compression boost there,

the 422 cam will work in an otherwise stock engine, but to get the most tuning will be needed, especially in a boost application.

between these you should get good power out of it imo! as far as bolt ons iirc bbk make a 66mm tb and larger maf. iirc there were stroker kits for these too for a bit of extra power, was it a 4.2 stroker? dont quite remember/dont have enough knowledge on it
maybe the 410 is a better fit then. Im more looking for making the engine run better and more reliable overall rather than bulk hp. i think that the stock intake will be plenty for what i have now.

maybe the 410 is a better fit then. Im more looking for making the engine run better and more reliable overall rather than bulk hp. i think that the stock intake will be plenty for what i have now.
for the max power id go 422, but you get more torque/midrange with the 410, which would be my pick for a DD. both will run fine with otherwise stock components.

Flat top pistons, headers, supercharger. 422 is a good cam, there are other companies that can either custom grind a cam or regrind the stock cam for more performance.

Flat top pistons, headers, supercharger. 422 is a good cam, there are other companies that can either custom grind a cam or regrind the stock cam for more performance.
i thought for max power then 422, but for low/mid i thought the 410 was better, no?

i thought for max power then 422, but for low/mid i thought the 410 was better, no?
Both are great off the shelf cams, 410 is good for low to mid power. The 422 does make more power but you have to spin the engine faster to make it.
What transmission is in the truck?

thinking a little boost to both. not looking for a super crazy build as this is still a daily just spicing it up a bit.
Boost for a daily sounds fun

Back