4.0 OHV vin X rattling like a diesel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV vin X rattling like a diesel

racer8899

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xls
title say it all, any thoughts? main or rod bearings or something simpler. very noticeable under truck oil pan and under hood up top. 2000 explorer xls with 4.0 ohv. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

title say it all, any thoughts? main or rod bearings or something simpler. very noticeable under truck oil pan and under hood up top. 2000 explorer xls with 4.0 ohv. Thanks

before we expect the worst..
Last oil change and filter? Refill with motocraft oil and a new motorcraft filter. see what happens

last oil change was yesterday and have been dilligent with no more than 3000 miles between changes and using castrol 10w40 and a fram oil filter. I saw something about fram being lousy filters and searched for a thread on them to no avail. Thanks for reply

last oil change was yesterday and have been dilligent with no more than 3000 miles between changes and using castrol 10w40 and a fram oil filter. I saw something about fram being lousy filters and searched for a thread on them to no avail. Thanks for reply

Went through it. If it is the same thing i had it is CARBON BUILDUP. It usually happens after you change the oil. I went through about 10 cans of seafoam, through the gas, brake booster and intake within about three months of time. The onlty downfall is seafoam will let you burn more gas becasue my MPG was bad and the new ford plugs failed after the three months. Only one failed but i changed them all with autolites.

Here is one quick search i did that might help but if you do a search for carbon build up you might found alot of threads. I hopw it helps..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179825

Did this happen after the oil change?
Get the damn fram out. Its a very crappy filter. goto to the dealer or walmart and get a motorcraft filter and fill with motorcraft 5W30 oil. 10W40 is also heavy oil. They suggest 5W30 for this application. I'm not saying that will solve the problem but start with basics.

it's the lifters mine has the same noise got it looked at

Mine does the same thing, sounds like theres a socket rattling around in the oil pan. I think ford describes this as a "marbling" sound. Only does it after an oil change and at idle. Once the oil starts to get black the sound starts to go away. Its completely gone by the time for the next oil change.

The first time i heard it was right after i bought the X back in August of 07. Changed the oil the day i brought it home. Ive always put in 10w30 in my ranger so that was what i put in the X not knowing that it called for 5w30. I know, should have read the book, drove it for about a day and then changed it again to 5w30 valvoline max life. When i heard that sound i about crapped myself. Did a search and found that other people have had the same problem but no fix or problems other than that sickening sound.

i have had the lifters replaced before to fix this sound. its really annoying. guy charged over 1500 dollars

Back