• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc - 5r55e to m5od swap

mowzuppa

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Alright so I've grinded through my 2nd 5r55e and I've always wanted a manual anyway. So for the swap I already have
M5od- $400

Luk clutch kit, flywheel and clutch master cylinder- $210

Luk slave cylinder- $60

Flywheel bolts where obsolete but I later found out the 01-05 4.0 sohc sport tracs have the same flywheel bolts. So I ordered 8 of those from ford. -$40

Dust plate from ford- $40

Small bottle of dot 3 for clutch fluid

3 QTS royal purple

Do I need anything else? If I drop the 5r55e and leave the neutral safety switch in, won't it still start and run just fine if left in the park position? I don't care about a clutch safety switch or reverse lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will start and run if it cuts out you may need to cut vss wire at ecm pin 54 if I recall on 5.0 ex not sure if the same for 4.0.

Thanks for the info
Is the vss wire the same color and same.pin number in the connector with the 5.0 as the 4.0?

Thanks for the info
Is the vss wire the same color and same.pin number in the connector with the 5.0 as the 4.0?

I'm not sure if it is I would have to look it up and see. But I think so.

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Any luck with this? tomorrow I'm picking a M5OD. Im going to get everything i can with it, flywheel, starter, wiring harness, ecu, floor plate. My explorer has PATS, if i get the computer from a sohc ranger that doesn't have PATS, will my PATS unit give me hell? the ignition cylinder that uses a chipped key? Ive got a 2001 Sport 4x4 with the 5R55E

Back