4.0 SOHC ECU Help Needed

Dave2302

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands NW Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 4.0SOHC "North Face"
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, have tried searching but can't find answers, forgive me if this has come up before. ;)

I have just purchased a 2001 (UK) "North Face" 4.0 SOHC Explorer. :exp:
It has a bad starting and overfuelling issue, which is diagnosed as ECU faulty.

I can get many secondhand ECU's over here off EBay, but.....

1) Do I have to get an ECU from identical year with identical numbers or will any Gen II 4.0 SOHC ECU be fine ??

2) Do I have to get the secondhand ECU programmed to the car or can I just plug it in and start it ??

Regards Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Blueka,

have rung him today very helpful chap, I have now got all the gen on swapping ECU's.

However I think this maybe not the problem. I bought it Monday with a flat battery and a load of bits in the boot LOL. Anyway I charged the battery and put it back together today and have now got it started. :)

From cold was sweet and revved freely, but by the time it had warmed up, about 5 mins, as soon as you ask anything of it by opening the throttle a bit it missfires and splutters, if its in gear and you try to pull away it will die. Starts straight up again and idles fine, but if you open the throttle real gentle it will rev up to the rev limiter, but push the throttle a little more and it misses and splutters and the CEL has now come on.

It was getting late so went home. I haven't code read it yet but my immediate thought having now heard / felt the problem is Ignition related, perhaps a dead / dying coil pack.

What do you guys think ??? I will try and borrow a V6 Mondeo one from the breakers tommorrow to test as I believe all the V6 EEC V's use the same one, it sure looks the same. I have heard that these coil packs can be grief.

Regards Dave

get your codes read first before you do anything else. I'm not sure about the mondeo coil but it's worth a go. doesn't sound like a coil issue... might be the MAF, give it a clean out

Si

:D

Problem solved, what a result I've just had ;)

Read the codes, was showing Lambda fault and several gearbox solenoids.
The transmission was rebuilt just before I got it, but it still didn't run right. I looked at the lambdas to find 2 new ones fitted !!

Checked the fuse box to find a blown 15A fuse (labelled exhaust fuse) !!

Replaced the fuse, cleared the codes, sweet as a nut. Road tested it, drives beautifully, MOT tested it, 2 stop and tail bulbs and a pass :)

Won't tell you what I paid for it, but this motor has been to 3 supposedly professional garages, plus an engine diagnostic firm. It has had a new gearbox, new spark plugs, new HT Leads 2 new Lambdas and the final diagnosis before I bought it was a dead ECU :rolleyes:

I spent a day and a half and £3.50 on one fuse and 2 bulbs :cool:

Happy Bunny :D:D:D

Thanks for your help guys, especially Blueka and Justin at Explorer Parts who has been very helpful,

Regards Dave

happy days!! glad you got it sorted... you'll have to venture down to Silverstone next summer for Ford Fair...

Si

Would love to get to Ford Fair, was trying this year.....
Trouble is I run a Waterski School in the Highlands and I'm always flat out busy in the summer. That said tho I'm very into Fast Fords, have built several in the past and I'm just finishing my new workshop off, roof going on in a couple of weeks. Then I'm planning on building a 24v 4WD Focus, as my next project, so I guess I'll have to get down there then !!

Back