4.0 SOHC EE Supercharger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC EE Supercharger

I am very interested in either doing a turbo set up on my truck or the EE supercharger.

Im stuck in between which would be better, and I also have a Auto tranny.
Any thoughts?

Also of EE web, i read that you need to get a new throttle body and inlet hose?
On their site it only shows a OHV throttle body, as mine is a SOHC, and I cant find anything about the inlet hose?

Also 18psiexplorer has talked to me about doing a turbo at his shop so thats also high on my list

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a little valve that, when open, relieves crankcase pressure. The cylinders will leak just a bit (even a new engine) but this is amplified when running forced induction. So in short, air/fuel goes into the engine, the piston compresses and at that time a little air/fuel makes it past the rings and into the crankcase. On a stock system, the PCV will allow this "blow-by" to escape from the crankcase and channels it back into the intake where it can re-enter the engine. Hopefully this time it will make it out the exhaust but you can see the endless cycle here. The PCV has a little ball which a spring holds shut, when there’s no crankcase pressure, or there’s enough engine vacuum pulling to overcome the spring. With the ball in the up position, the gases are able to escape the engine, and travel back into the intake. When you force feed air into the engine, you will also force feed the stock PCV shut, which will not allow the gases to escape from the right spot. I say right spot because it will find away out somewhere as the pressure builds. That spot could be a gasket or wherever the weakest link is. The result is you’ll have oil leaks and bad performance.

The reason there is a valve is to protect the engine incase a misfire occurs. So when force feeding, you have to change a few things up for the best results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the PCV is almost exxential if you want to run higher hp/ boost. Would you recommend using a PCV for up to 10 lbs? Also have you or are you using a ECU programmer for AEM or something like that off your laptop? Or is that just a scary idea and leave the tuning up to my turbo shop? Thanks

Yes, I tune my truck using the SCT pro racer package.

For more information about the PCV valve. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Also, you'll be amazed at what you'll find at this site.

I'm confused about something that I read in this thread, it was about warm air vs cool air. Warm air moves faster and cool air slower. My understanding of forced induction is you want "more" air molecules when it fires. Cooler air is more dense than warmer air, would that not create more oxygen in he cylinder which allows for a hotter burn which allows more fuel to be efficiently used?

Never mind, it was regarding exhaust gas, yes faster spool is better... nothing more to see here... move along LOL.

Lol I know what you mean Scotty. I had the same thing confused for a bit and can kind of still see it either way. I see it as, and I could stil be wrong, you want colder IAT but in turn you want the forced induction pressure. i think the thing that had me stumped is how much STS says that their universal turbo systems drop so much heat being remote mounted. But then when you think of the length of piping to get from the rear axle through an intercooler and finally into your intake seems as though there is a good chance for loss of pressure.

So when I do the remote turbo system, I think I'm going to do it similar to Jakee's; try and keep it as close to the engine as I can. I can't wait, I literally spend everyday looking at so many different turbo ideas and explorer threads its insane! But hey it's fun and being in electrical school again here for another two and a half weeks isn't that fun at all. Need something to pass the time.

Cold air thru the intake

Hot gas thru the exhaust with the right size tube. Stainless is ideal as it will hold the heat. Also, wrapping the pre-turbo pipes with exhaust wrap is a popular thing to do. There are many other tricks.

I still don't think I have the best perfromance out of mine...

What size of turbo did you end up going with? And do you find the SCT package has been really helpful/essential?

I don't remember right off hand the size but it's a T04E 60-1 Precision turbo. The size is in one of my threads somewhere.

The pro racer package has been extremly helpful to me. The good is you can change anything at anytime. The bad is it will take awhile to learn and the price is higher than a regular tuner. My suggestion, if you want to go this route, is to purchase Don LaSota's video from lasota racing. Just remember, this is not going to be an overnight success.

On the other hand, there is a well liked tuner, HensonPerformance (name is James) that could help you. This is the other turbo 4.0 SOHC I was talking about so he'll know your truck very well.

Jakee- Well I'm glad the tuner is working well for you. I'm so excited you have no idea.

General Questions for anyone:
Wondering what gears im running in my 99 Sport 4wd?

And how can I recalibrate my speedo for different tire sizes?

Thanks

1) There's an identifaction tag on your rear end. It's usually attached to one of the cover bolts. Write the number down and come back to this forum under the explorer spec link and you'll be able to find out. http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

2) The tuner will recalibrate the different size tires.

Just got out from underneath the truck looking for what gears I have.
and I dont know if its a miss print but this is what the whole tag says:

S 616E
10 88 8L 23

I cant find any rear end on that chart with a 23???
Is it supposed to be 73???
Im confused lol

Back