• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.0 sohc main oil seal part deux

floridacatfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt 4.0 soh
i had the transmission off and a shop replaced a leaking main seal at 156 k miles

Leaking (not a lot but leaking) again 20 k miles later.

I do not know what seal was used at 156 k

Do we have an opinion what seal and brand should be used the second time ?

Thx for any input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

floridacatfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not getting any feedback on the main rear seal - I hope the shop used a good seal or repair seal

What I have learned from reading the forums is there are other seals that could leak and make a technician think main rear -

I think it was loads input

The lower pivot bolt seal for the rear chain cassette
The oil adapter seal
Could thhe Jack shaft cover leak ?
Others

floridacatfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My bad - the main oil seal answer is within these forums - it’s the ford seal and it’s the otc tool - dale had the pn in his list

But does the old tab still apply ?

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
When the rear main seal was replaced, did the person installing the seal also install the sleeve on the crankshaft to give the seal a proper surface to ride on?

floridacatfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
That’s a good question and I cannot say for sure bc a shop did it and I don’t have a view of the seal yet - my guess is the used a 1 piece feloro or other seal to complete the job - I just think they needed to use the ford 2 piece gasket and use the otc tool to seat iT.

I don’t think the shop knew enough to use a ford two piece seal or the tooling.