4.0 SOHC misses on Cyls 1 and 2 after replacing EGR&Fuel Press Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC misses on Cyls 1 and 2 after replacing EGR&Fuel Press Sensor

Bill Timmerman

Reaction score
City, State
Jensen Beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 exp eddy bauer
Good afternoon, Sorry about so many edits but I keep getting new info. See the end.
My first post here but I've checked the forum out for many useful items over the years.
2005-4.0 SOHC with 150K but it's been well cared for as I've had it for 10+ years. It usually runs great with 22 mpg but occasionally has missed as I pulled into the garage but it always straightens out. It has thrown an EGR valve error for several years but it continued to run fine. Last week after about an hour of highway driving, it started missing very badly at stoplights. So badly that I pulled off into a parking lot where it stalled completely and wouldn't start. After pushing it out of the way, I loosened the air cleaner and checked the wire harness connectors and it started up and ran fine the remaining 10 miles home on back roads.
The error codes still showed the EGR valve but it also showed fuel rail pressure sensor high.
So...I went off to my neighborhood NAPA and purchased a new EGR valve, a fuel pressure sensor, intake manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets; I decided that while I was at it I might as well change them also. In the process I removed both fuel rails and carefully replaced them. There are no visible fuel leaks.
After removal and replacement of the above items the car started right up but missed badly. It also expelled raw fuel from the tail pipe. I rechecked my injector wiring connectors and the plug wires. After checking the exhaust manifold temperatures, cylinders 1 and 2 were cold and obviously not firing. No error codes are showing and the check engine light is off. I removed the plugs from these cylinders and they looked ok, the gap was a little big but I adjusted it down. Both plugs ohmed out as Infinite megohms.
I'm looking for recommendations as to what could cause this. When I removed the connectors from #1 and #2 it sounded just the same as when they were connected.
It's pretty frustrating that after all of the difficult labor involved that it runs so badly.
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me
PS Just checked the codes again and it shows cyl 1 and cyl 2 injector circuit open. Both show 12vdc when the ignition is on, engine not running. And Cyl 1 injector ohms out at 12K ohms. I can't get to any of the other injectors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if you could purchase/install a "noid" light to test the #1 and #2 injector circuits.

If you confirm with the light that these circuits are stuck "on" all the time (dumping gas into those cylinders; will fry your catalytic converters quickly), then that's definitely your problem.

I'm afraid I don't know what would cause this, other than (i) wiring harness short(s); or (ii) bad PCM. I don't think the crank position sensor could be at fault, but its easy to do a visual check . . . .

I wonder if you could purchase/install a "noid" light to test the #1 and #2 injector circuits.

If you confirm with the light that these circuits are stuck "on" all the time (dumping gas into those cylinders; will fry your catalytic converters quickly), then that's definitely your problem.

I'm afraid I don't know what would cause this, other than (i) wiring harness short(s); or (ii) bad PCM. I don't think the crank position sensor could be at fault, but its easy to do a visual check . . . .
Thanks Drewmog.
I tested them today with noid lights and originally 1and 2 weren’t lighting. After removing and reinstalling the ecu plugs several times they now light and turn off but the fuel injectors are dumping lots of fuel into 1and 2. Could dirt getting into the injectors cause them to spray all of the time.?
Does anyone have a good affordable source for injectors and a good part #?
Next thing is to replace those injectors

Rockauto has motorcrafts for $30 plus shipping...

Also, fuel filter replaced within the past 30-50k miles? It might be a good idea to run a bottle or two of Chevron Techtron fuel system treatment through the tank, too.

I reinstalled my egr with a new gasket and got some lean code s and little miss here and there at idle turned out the gasket was bad out of the box may not help may want to take a look

Thanks for the replies.
Installed new injectors on number one and two and the engine runs pretty good. It started out with a few codes until all the unburned fuel was expelled.
I put a can of tech Tron injector cleaner and just did a 25 mile test drive. It runs fine going down the road and the mileage is pretty good, but it still has a very rough idle.
CEL is not on and no codes are being shown.
Any ideas on the rough idle?

Back