4.0 SOHC Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Swap

Hey guys... I'm new! I have been thinking of swapping my SOHC V6 in my 99 XLT for a while, I'm looking for very high street performance, do you guys have any suggestions etc.? Thanks I really appreciate your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site mattmon. do you have the sohc? or the ohv and want the sohc? to swap one v6 for another would be fairly easy as far as all the little things that make a v8 swap difficult. you would still have a wireing nighmare cause there are some sensors that the sohc has that the ohv doesnt. your 99 engine compartment was designed to have a v8 nestled in there so if i were you i would go that route. if your going to do an involved swap process you might as well go all the way. do a search on the site for what you want to know and im sure there will be more info than you will know what to do with. good luck and welcome to the site.

Thanks fordkrazy, I have the SOHC and am looking at replacing it with a high performance V8, as you suggested I did a quick search on the site and came up with SEHR thier SR 351-03 caught my eye, I'd love to have 420HP in my truck, Is there anything I should know about this engine, or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks alot I really appreciate it!

Mattmon,
Look under the sportturck forum here. Check out Troll's rig. He has a 302 block pushing 500hp at the wheels. Stroked engine, blower and nitrous. Also - you can build a 302 30-over with dual turbos and acheive about 600hp. You could go nuts and get that engine to over 700hp if you wanted (I've seen them - have no clue how though ;)). With all of that comes a new transimission, new rearend, new or modified supension and a bunch more...

Jon

FME...He does have a V-8 in there, and the motor cam in there, he didn't go from a V-6 to a V-8....And that cuts out alot of work
Pete

Very true Pete,
I was using Troll as an example of potential (hope you don't mind Troll)

On the swap subject Pete - I know you are getting ready to do yours. From what you can tell - is this going to be a real hard project? I can get a McLaren Mustang that was totalled (5.0, AOD, 9" rear + the whole car with bent frame) for about 500-1000. This owuld give me entire drivetrain, computer, rearend and so on. Would also have custom McLaren rims and other goodies to sell off on a Stang board. Just wondering if the hassle will be worth it...

Jon

Well, lets see....First...If the frame is messed up....Some things may have gotten twisted...cracked etc...so ya may wanna watch out for that. Secondly, as for me installing mine...I'm going to have a shop build a motor for me, and I'll do the actual instal. Now, I can spin wrenches deceintly....I've done most of the mods on my truck thus far. I don't know your capabilities....Everyone who has done the swap, say it doesnt take a rocket scientist, it just takes time. I plan on starting on a thursday or friday night, and only work half days for the next week so i can come home and work on it. I cant help ya on the mclaren stang, but i think they were more powerful than the regular 5.0's but you are gonna wanna have it rebuilt. Gofast is useing the aod as well, but then you need an expensive adapter to adapt the tranny to t-case. I am going to run a C-4 and a dana 20 t-case out of a EB. Oknut ran all james duff swap parts and told me it went in easily, so I'm looking to do the same. That's all I can think of now, if ya got any other questions, i'll try and help, if not, check gofasts thread
Pete

I begg to differ on the opinion that it will be hard to swap a v8 into a late model. the engine compartment is already layed out for the v8. all you would have to do as far as fit is buy the stock motor mounts, radiator and exhaust headers(or aftermarket ones). and set that sucker in. the only problem is doing the wiring.

Uh well, true, but the engine compartment is crammed with ALOT more crap in em....Possible? Yes, I've seen a 302 in a 97 ranger....But that thing was packed waaay in there....Im not saying impossible, but a ton more work than the 91-94 X's
Pete

Originally posted by RFR2212
FME...He does have a V-8 in there, and the motor cam in there, he didn't go from a V-6 to a V-8....And that cuts out alot of work
Pete

>> Hey guys... I'm new! I have been thinking of swapping my SOHC V6 in my 99 XLT <<

Did I read this wrong?

i did a side by side comparison with my 94 4x4 and a 98 mountianeer and the only thing i found majorly different other than rearrangement of items was the heater box and the steering column. the mt.'neer had the v8 and i took lots of measurements. my v6 actually sits higher at the lip of the valve cover than that v8 did. im sure the cross member is way differant so that is a major obstical. but the biggest has got to be the air box for the heater and a/c. from the farthest interferance point on mine to where the outer fender bends down into the engine compartment measured nearly 23" and the 98 measured 16". man i wish i could swap boxes. anyway he has a major leg up on the conversion. he can buy all the brackets and mounts from ford to complete the swap instead of having them custom made. the biggest problem he is going to have is wireing and selecting what motor and tranny to use.

Back