4.0 Sohc Switch from 5w30 to 10w30 at 80k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Sohc Switch from 5w30 to 10w30 at 80k

Billy177

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Redding CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4
i currently have around 80k miles on the engine and i was wondering if i should switch to 10w30 because of the looser tolerences the engine burns no absoulutly oil (knock on wood) and runs fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What specific tolerances are you talking about? Are you having some sort of problem? 5W30 is what Ford recommends no matter the mileage.

the tolerances being normal engine wear. i think ford reccomends 5w30 for emissions purposes mainly like the new 5.4 using 0w20

I changed thousands of oil and oil filters on vehicles up until a couple years ago!!! Explorers to Corvettes! Same customers!
10w30 in ALL with fram oil filters every 5,000 miles! NO problems with any motors. Some of my customers came every 10,000 - 15,000 miles for a change and they also had no problems getting over 100,000+ miles on their engines.
And NO problems starting them in the cold weather unless it was a mechanical failure.
Never had one fail an emissions test either because of the oil viscosity.

A straight 10W?

We normally run 10W30 all year round. I've been switching on and off from 5W to 10W and see absolutly no difference. If it gives you that extra piece of mind, go for it. Might keep things coated a little better.

it has been around 0 degrese latley but it starts up fine with my 875cca batt

I've got 115,000miles on my SOHC 4.0 using 5w-30 Mobil-1. Runs as good now as it did new back in 1997.

I can't agree with old mechanic on Fram oil filters, I use Motorcraft or Puralator Pure-one with regular changes.

weve been running 5w30 in ours in ct since it was new, and now its about to roll over 170k, with no problems (knock on wood)

Back