• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Tensioners

E.T.

Reaction score
City, State
Ucon, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
So I am about to order a pair of OEM tensioners to swap for the pair of aftermarket parts I have in, as seems to be recommended in order to kill startup rattle rather than ultimately my entire engine. Hoping it will get rid of a tappettey flutter on the left bank too, but I'm not super optimistic given the grief this engine loves to give us all.

Two questions- firstly can anyone show me the comparative spring strength between aftermarket and Ford OEM tensioners? This is an old worn ford one (probably) versus the aftermarket one:

DSC_0132.JPG

And question two, has anyone cut one of these things in half? I'm just interested to know how they look inside (and I don't have an angle grinder)..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are hydraulic tensioners. When full of oil (like they should be, in use), they are rock hard. Spring is secondary, and probably there mostly to (rather loosely) hold the guide against the chain until the oil pumps up at startup.

Do not use aftermarket tensioner s
Only ford

Or a manual one of you understand how to adjust it correctly

A pre oiler is a must imo

Good luck

Lots of info on the 95-2001 forum

Good luck

So here's the aftermarket (above) vs the OEM (below):
DSC_0328.JPG

As can be seen the OEM part has LESS tension on the spring. Which means, by logic, MORE lash in the chains at startup, thus more chance the motor will skip timing in that first second. I read over on the ranger forum about people still getting the rattle after installing these as well, which makes sense..

Drew, my buddy at Aston Martin said something similar- i.e. the tenser the tensioners at startup the better.

Donald are manual tensioners basically just bolts which apply a constant force to the cassettes or is there more to them than that?

definitely appreciate that Ford's specs exist for a reason. Am I missing something here? Who at Ford designed this damned engine timing system and what is their email?!?

Donald are manual tensioners basically just bolts which apply a constant force to the cassettes or is there more to them than that?
Yes sir
4.0 SOHC Timing Noise
Here is a good thread on this subject read it all great information

@allmyEXes can give MORE info on the manual tensioner he is running one now

@E.T. Go to this thread4.0 SOHC Timing Noise
Go to post #86 and you will see a picture of the manual tensioner that is disassembled. Note that it has no springs and oil does not pass through it. I adjusted by feel and sound. Read as much as you can in that thread to get familiar and to feel comfortable using the manual tensioner if you do.

Thanks guys! I found the old tensioners I took out and lo and behold the spring tension is exactly the same as the new OEM parts.. As the rear one is always full of oil I'll leave it for now but the /old/ rear one is going to become an experiment similar to the one in the vid..

Here ya go:
DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

The thing I love most about this here frangled old jalopy is how each time you kill a noise you hear a quieter one. Off to the other thread...

The thing I love most about this here frangled old jalopy is how each time you kill a noise you hear a quieter one. Off to the other thread
So true

Back