4.0 SOHC Timing Noise | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE: It's been almost 18 months since I first installed a manual tensioner in the 1997 Blue SOHC truck. It probably has 32-35k on it by now. I haven't done the front left one yet. My White '97 has about 2500 miles since the left side guide repair including pulling the cylinder head. I installed manual tensioners in both sides of it.

That rubber pad is still there lmao

If you have any ?s

It's been 4.5 years since I installed the manual tensioner on the rh head of the blue '97 beater. This past week and week to come, I've had to put my wife back in the beater because a hose blew on the white '97, the one that I fixed the left head on 4 plus years ago. It has manual tensioners in both places. white '97 left side chain repair. Go to post #150 for the left front tensioner install. The vehicle has gone 53,000 miles after the major work that had to be performed. Not as major as the next 4.0 project. The engine will be coming out of the 2002 Sport Trac after I figure out how to cut or break the plastic intake.
when I hit the intake with a hammer, it bounced back like rubber. The very back intake bolt "torx head" bolt is stripped out and oxidized into the aluminum head. It will get new manual tensioners that I think cost about $20- each. The price keeps dropping on these and I may purchase more before they go obsolete for the future.

Back