4.0 sohc, WOW! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc, WOW!

My opinion on the SOHC

i also agree, the SOHC is a interesting engine.

with that said, I love my SOHC. power wise it is there(w/ age & miles in mind). still has original motor & trans w/208K miles on it. i have owned it for 6yrs and never really had any major problems (alt, battery, water pump, TPS, serp. belt, plugs/wires and intake gaskets). it has been a very reliable motor for me as i have taken very good care maintenance wise and not beating on it every time my foot touches the pedal helps a ton, dont get me wrong though i do not drive like a granny either, i know what she can and will do when i need her to.

so just adding my opinion along w/the others, i love this motor i just get worried about them damn chains, especially w/the mileage on my truck. when and if That times comes then i will be more than happy to dive into the motor and gain more knowledge of it and most likely appreciate & respect it more.

I love the 4.0 engine. It is a crazy design but it works. I have 180,000 on my 4door that I drive 40 miles each way to work and back. I beat the snot out of it too. I recently had the timing cover off to install a new gasket due to coolant seepage. When I pulled the timing cover off, I expected to find some major damage to the timing components. It turns out the only thing worn was the gasket and the counter balance shaft chain tensioner. Now its back together and I am beating it some more.

Now my 2 door has a 4.0 as well. And it doesnt lack any power at all. 104,000miles and climbing.

Attachments

• DSC02703.JPG
    DSC02703.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 187

1998 Explorer 2Dr 4wd.Dry pavement 4WD burnouts made possible by: rpcastor kit,Eaton M90,2.8inch pulley,80mm Maf housing with Cougar sc maf sensor,30lb injs,75mm throttle body,Mallory adjustable fuel regulator@55-65psi,SCT X3 with Advantage 3 software,LC1 Wideband O2,XD16,Flowmaster with 3inch Tailpipe,Flexalite Blackmagic Extreme 180 Electric fan,4:10 gears Front and rear,Explorer D2 Posi Rear.

thanks, now i have to change my shorts.

Back