4.0 stalling on deceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 stalling on deceleration

iwfur25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger XLT 4x4
My 2001 4.0 Ranger stalls occasionally. Specifically when the clutch is pushed in and the truck is decelerating, like for a red light. It can be restarted immediately. It happens smoothly so the lack of power steering is usually the first indicator... no roughness or funny sounds when it stops.

The strangest part: no matter the fuel level, the gauge will be pegged on E when this happens. It will slowly creep back up after restarting.

So far I have replaced the IAV. I also went around and pulled every fuse or relay related to the ECU, fuel pump and fuel gauge one at a time while the truck was running. Obviously, most of these killed the engine but NONE of them would cause the fuel gauge to bottom out. I also unplugged the fuel pump at the tank connector while running... gauge still stayed in place.

So, anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing its something electrical because of the gauge behavior.

Do these trucks shut the fuel pump off when the tank gets empty? If so maybe a wacky fuel level sender is causing this...

Back