4.0 Stroker Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Stroker Kit

Hey guys whats going on i was looking on this site called Morano V6 Racing i think thats what the web address is called also. Well they specialize in Ford V6 performance mostly the mustang 3800 but also the 3000 Vulcan and even the 4.0L. Ok i was wondering since no one makes a charger for the SOHC would a stroker kit that costs like 3,700 be a good idea for performance or would it even work on my SOHC. The site says the kits work on engines from 80 i think to 2003 so i think it should work. SO please any input would be welcome. Thanks guys and gals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What a joke. Even if it would work on your SOHC, would you really buy it?

For 3700 bucks you could have a 347 stroker in your explorer.

I don't think they'd have a stroker kit for the 4.0's. Both the 4.0 OHV and SOHC blocks are originally derived from the 2.9L Ford V6. They're already bored and stroked versions of that motor, and I don't think they have much more room left to be tweaked in that way.

And yes, for $3700 (+ install) you could swap in a V8 or custom fab a supercharger.

OK, school me. How can the OHV and SOHC both be based off the the 2.9, since they are completely different breeds of engines? Just wondering.

Robb

Robb, from my understanding, the basic blocks and bottom ends are the same from OHV to SOHC. Just the heads and the valvetrain/cams differ, and I think the piston heads.

Alec,
That is where I run into a problem. How can the blocks be the same when one of them has a cam in it and the other doesn't? Or the SOHC the same block just without a cam in it?

Sorry for the stupidity, I have never actually looked at a SOHC 4.0, so I have no idea.

Robb

dunno, that's what the "experts" have told me.

Robb, I beleive what he is saying is that the SOHC bottom end is BASED on the OHV 4.0 bottom end, not an exact duplicate. i.e. their strength is the same.

Yeah i was just posting that and yes there is a kit on the page i said, and yes i would rather get a Crate 5.0 Liter than paying 3700 for a stroker kit. Anyways i think Naturally Asperated is the cool way to go and more challenging then Nitrous, Supercharger's and Turbo forced induction. I want 300 horses to the wheels N/A

you have a V6 in a 4400lb. sport ute... that isnt challanging enough?!?!?;)

seriously, i had kinda the same idea here awhile back. i thought about just going all motor in my X, for the "respect factor". but in the end, i realized that if i got a 4 door sport ute to run even under 14's, that would be respect enough. lol

I'm sorry I'm usually the one posting about the similaraties of the SOHC and the OHV engines. The crankshafts and rods are the same. The bore diameters and stroke are the same. The blocks themselves are different due to the new cylinder heads. They are a very simaliar to the OHV 4.0 in that the design comes from a OHV. The SOHC is a 60 degree V6. Now the pistons in the SOHC are different then that of a OHV in they are flat tops, the OHV has dish. Before the next question Yes they can be used in a OHV to raise the compression ratio. The only problem there is it raises it to a level beyond any sain 4.0 can reliable handle, around 12.5-13:1. Being that no 4.0's ever came with a distributer this can really be a problem short of an aftermarket engine managment system.

In short the OHV and the SOHC 's are very similar, they even use the same motor mount bolt patterns on the side of the block but the heads and the upper part of the block are where the designs show there differences.

Later Doug904.

I would love to see the 347 conversion from a SOHC equipped truck that only cost $3700. By the time all is said and done you are looking at more like $10-15K to do it right.......

I am getting ready to build a new OHV for my BII, my 93 4.0 has 150K+ miles on it and leaks oil like a friggin fountain, the rest of my drivertrain is brand spankin new, I could go in and re-do the gaskets, but I figure I'll just build a new one. Don't get me wrong the OHV doesn't miss a beat, but I can get a builder for like $75 and I will do the swap in one day/weekend (keep fingers crossed....).

I plan to dump about 2-3K into thge buildup, naturally aspirated (if I wanted a supercharger I would buy a Mustang or a 2wd Ranger). This will be a nice middle of the road buildup using a 91 OHV block punched .030 over (about as far as you want to take a ohv from what I understand) some 98TM heads with quite a bit of work done to them, 410 cam, ported intakes, and if money allows forged pistons (just in case) Should sit right at 10.5:1 compression ratio. I use my truck for my daily driver, for towing my boat, and for 4x4ing, this 4.0L is a workhorse and from the factory quite a dog compared to what they are capable of. Keep it simple, and get as much torque of of it as possible...

Doug I have a question....

Now that you have upgraded your EEC and harness to the newer stuff have you played with the EEC tuner at all?
I may have access to an EEC Tuner and as I understand it is is just a matter of figuring out the codes for the EEC-IV and the OHV, the support for the 2.3L T, 3.8L and of course the 5.0L is already there. I cant imagine that the OHV 4.0L would be much different????

Also have you ever seen anybody install a 2.9L distributor in a OHV?

I know of people saying they have done it, or they used a 4.0L block with the 2.9L intakes and sensors, but I remember Pat Kunz saying something about the dist. drive gear running backwards on the 2.9L, or something along those lines....

I will be seeking some of your advice when we are ready to gather parts and assemble.
Have you found an electric fan that is adequate to cool a 4x4 BII with a boat in tow? I run he Modine 3 core aluminum rad, with a huge motorhome tranny cooler.
I belive the radiator was actually too large for my old 16" fan, so a all metal custom radiator may be in order..

The problem I have with the electric is fitting one. Between the waterpump pulley and the rad there is about 3-4" max.

mmmmm, 12.5:1/ 13:1 compression ratios...mmmmm

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i found it very informative. Doug and 410 fortune mentioned distributors relating to compression ratio's. how exactly does a distributor which mechanically signals the spark plugs have anything to do with the compression? i would think the most important thing for high compression would be the head gaskets.

Originally posted by Alec
Both the 4.0 OHV and SOHC blocks are originally derived from the 2.9L Ford V6.

wasnt it originally the 2.8l v-6 that was in the early rangers. that became the 2.9, then the 4.0.
but yeah, there isnt much room left

Originally posted by BonesDT
sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i found it very informative. Doug and 410 fortune mentioned distributors relating to compression ratio's. how exactly does a distributor which mechanically signals the spark plugs have anything to do with the compression? i would think the most important thing for high compression would be the head gaskets.

With a distributor it's pretty easy to mess with spark timing, which you'll need to for that high compression.

With a DIS you need to make computer mods or get a stand-alone ignition system to handle those changes. With that much compression you'd need tunability which a distributor or stand-alone system would give, not a chip.

ah, now there's the meat of my question. is there a stand-alone system for explorers? how much does a system like that cost? it confuses me why computers arnt made like this more often, and why there is a lack of emphasis on the computers in the aftermarket and tuning world. still today people resort to old school distribs and carbs, even high performance crate engines just cause they're easily tunable. we should be giving our high tech fuel injection and ignition systems screens and keyboards instead of having these pre-burnt chips put in at the factory that no one knows what its doing and cant make any changes.

it would be my dream to run the entire PCU off a windows based program off a laptop and have every setting including spark timing easily tuned. i just wouldnt want to be on the highway when windows decides to freeze on me!

fully programmable engine management systems seem like a very simple and inexpensive project. im sure a program to run an engine is peanuts compared to the kind of computer programs we have for other things today. but it seems like this rare idea is unpopular and extremely expensive. am i wrong?

It's not as rare as you think. Imports have been using easily programmable systems for years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of the biggest problems with that is Fords computer. LS1 guys and imports have been doing what you speak of for a long time now. there are a few programs to do *some tuning on the Ford puter, but it is mostly mustang specific.

Back