4.0 swap Simplify harness | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swap Simplify harness

Once I get the scamatics from you I will probably start cutting wires. I don’t wanna mess it up to soon haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once I get the scamatics from you I will probably start cutting wires. I don’t wanna mess it up too soon haha

I have picked on of these 4.0 ohv befor because I put one in my B2 but I can’t remember where I picked it from. What’s your way of doing it?

I see some empty bolt holes on the heads right where the exhost manafolds are mounted. I think I ran a bolt through a chain to them holes last time. Been so long ago.

11EB1EBA-19A5-43B2-ADC6-4BB615D160BB.jpeg
View attachment 175304

What do you think about this method. Think it’s a strong lifting point or not. Let me know all your thoughts.

that will work just fine
We use seatbelts cut from the trucks we are crushing to yank entire drivetrains
I just pulled a v8 and its transmission with everything attached to it last night using a single seatbelt tied in a knot over each exhaust manifold
Your strap idea is perfect, however I would make that strap ALOT shorter, the hook should basically be on top of the intake manifold otherwise your hoist will run out of lift before the engine is high enough to clear the radiator support

Wiring info coming today, this am in fact....

I am useing a chain hoist that’s mounted from the rafters. I should have plenty of clearence. I wish I had a picker tho. Be nice to roll around and help the engine in our out.

I can’t wait to see what kinda wiring info you have for me. I think that’s going to be so satisfying to get that harness figured out and simplified.

I have some time this AM set aside to get my wiring box out, sort through it and find the info you need, scan it in and upload it then post it here :)

allright ready to go down this journey with me? These are my notes - diagrams - maps for a conversion when we put a 1992 Explorer 4.0L and 5 speed into a 1984 Ranger using the 92 explorer dash and wiring with the big white plug.
The engine bay harness was simplified
These are my notes, let me know if there is something you cannot read or does not make sense we can work through it

Overall shot of the page
this is the wiring for the 1992 explorer big white through the firewall plug
171_061941_280000001.jpg

Close - ups:
171_061941_290000002.jpg

171_061941_280000000.jpg

Backside
171_061941_290000003.jpg

You will want to know these wires the data link connector
171_061941_300000004.jpg

92-93 explorer ignition switch wiring (on steering column)
171_061949_450000003.jpg

bottom of that same page
171_061949_460000004.jpg

that should really help you identify the wires where they go and why
eliminate what is not needed then tailor the length and fit to your engine bay

I have lots of 2.8 and 2.9L to 4.0 Conversion info, more stuff if needed:
171_061949_440000000.jpg

my 1988 to 93 4.0 truck to drivetrain wiring:
171_061949_450000001.jpg

much of it has been computerized:'
171_061949_450000002.jpg

good luck!!

Thanks man yeah you really did your homework on that swap. So the yellow hand written paper is the big white plug.

What are the numbers for? I see some are maybe corrected off to the side next to the numbers that are written in order.

Yes the yellow paper is the big white plug front and back
basically wires 1-45
I am not sure if they are in any order
I started with the larger gauge wires and listed their color, circuit number, and destination
The circles are apparently wires not needed
some of the other numbers and such will just be chicken scratch that pertain to our swap

This was a 1984 Ranger that got a 92 dash and 4.0 and then eventually we went back and did a very powerful v8

It is the closest swap I have to what you are doing
BUT
I also have all the info for 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, and 93 trucks so if you need anything else I can look it up

If I was there with you we would lay out the harness, quickly identify each wire, where it goes and why. Then eliminate everything not needed, cut them short, then come back and un pin all un used wires from the connectors.

If you want me to send you any pics direct to your email or phone just PM me

Hope this helps!

Quality info right there. Much appreciated. I have the Chiltons manual which has been helpful enough but their wiring diagrams leave something to be desired.

Were you able to get the engine/trans combo IN without separating? I know Rookieshooter made a quick release for part of the rad support so everything could go in as a single unit.

v6 is easy to drop in as a single unit yes engine and trans together will fit, as they say
it is all about the angle of the dangle

I kinda wanna find a stock dash to put in. Is that going to be a pain to wire?

nope easy to wire
same wires as you are dealing with in that big white plug except not in a big white plug
just let me know what year dash/through firewall wiring and steering column you end up with

I am in the midst of doing this over the winter on my 86 Bronco 2. Got the donor engine out, and am resealing it. The A4LD is also being replaced with a M5OD, which I bought outright. The harness is out, and I have a 88 Bronco 2 for parts. I am not pulling the engine out of my 86 until the engine is done.

724F217B-3C94-4D98-B353-258657F10630.jpeg
Gotta dust my bronco off befor I can start this project.

I got the explorer striped of all the parts I think I may need I am still on the hunt for a stock dash
I wish I woulda kept some of the things I got rid of. back when I was in high school these things were easy to find parts for so I pitched all kinds of stock parts.

You are not alone, we all got rid of parts we wished we kept
That is a nice dusty BII!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3F2DB793-5B15-4BD8-A928-F577C6767456.jpeg

Thanks man yeah the paint actually shines up nice for being almost 36 years old.

This truck was compleatly stock when I got it. I was only 15 years old and bought it for 875 bucks. I’ve put lots of time into it and it has been sitting for probably 5 years.

Can’t wait to get it back in the snow again or even just drive it to work once in awhile

I am still nervous about taking wires out of that explorer harness. I wish i was more confident with vehicular wiring. Its a pain to find compleat harnesses without paying lots of money for the whole rig. Junk yards that are you pull it would be such a pain to try and get the whole harness in one day haha

I’m saying this because I don’t wanna screw up this harness and have to get another one and deal with the hassle of finding another.

Back