• Register Today It's free!

4.0 to 3.5 turbo conversion

Blackdawgdude

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4x4 Limited
Has anyone converted their Explorer motor from the 4.0 to the 3.5 turbo? I have a 2008 that I am attached to. I plan to replace the motor when it goes, and it would be nice to have the extra power!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. If I ever have the need to replace the 4.0 SOHC in my wife's 99 Sport, or the 4.0 OHV in my 00 Ranger it will be with a 5.0 V-8.

Has anyone converted their Explorer motor from the 4.0 to the 3.5 turbo? I have a 2008 that I am attached to. I plan to replace the motor when it goes, and it would be nice to have the extra power!
Not going to work. 2011 to 2019 are FWD engine and can't work on RWD Explorer. Transmission, how its mounted, computer, transfer case. Its all different.

Not going to work. 2011 to 2019 are FWD engine and can't work on RWD Explorer. Transmission, how its mounted, computer, transfer case. Its all different.
Thanks! That answers it. I Guess I will look at the V8 option. I think the 4.6 was available for my generation of Explorer.

Thanks! That answers it. I Guess I will look at the V8 option. I think the 4.6 was available for my generation of Explorer.
The 3.5 in the f150 isn't like the 11-19 explorers, maybe you could use one of those? It uses the 6r80 like ours do so.

Would likely be much easier to find a wrecked but running V8 donor (3v) and swap the driveline into yours. With the 3.5TT, you're going to need to fab a lot of stuff. Of course, people do weird swaps all the time...so....if you go that route, take lot's of pics :)

I'm just happy you said 3.5tt and not LS lol...

I have seen Coyote swaps in 4th gen Explorers. One of the cleanest ones had both pcm's in it so the engine would run properly. I don't know how it was done, but you would probably need to do something similar to use the F150 3.5L.

Back