• Register Today It's free!

4.0 to 5.0

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
Great news. I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to geico.

Just kidding.

But anyway, my friend has an '89 LX 5.0, but he bent the crank shaft. So he traded his supercharger for a 357ci.

What's even better, he said he would give me his short block 5.0 for about $100.

Here is the question. He said he has stock heads he could give me, b/c he is using his upgraded ones, but what else would I need. He has already looked at my trans and said the 5.0 should bolt right up. I know I need motor mounts, and he said he would give me a list of what all he has, but I was wondering what some basics are that I would need. Any help???

Wow, you got use the search on this one. I know there's at least one post a week with these questions. You'll need all new wiring harnesses and it will not be easy/cheap to do. I doubt the trans would work and besides if it did don't know how long it would last.

I also.....

.....tlaked to my Ford guy. He said that most transmissions have a wide range of ci that they will work with. He said that the most I would need aas far as transmission parts would be a flywheel.

The stock tranny with the Explorer 5.0 is the 4r70w (the W is for wide band gear set). It can more than handle the 5.0, but I don't know how long your 4.0 tranny would handle the abuse.

Back