• Register Today It's free!

4.0 V6 OHV for my Sunbeam Alpine

Tiger2Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood, South Carolina 29649
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 FORD Explorer Eddie
I am doing an engine conversion for a Sunbeam Alpine from Stock 4 cyl to FORD 4.0 OHV V6.

The factory fuel injection was sitting rather high for a normal hood scoop, so I elected to have a 4 bbl intake fabricated.

The 4.0 does not have a distributor, but does have a "drive" from the cam gear to the oil pump. I could have perchance modified a 2.8 or 2.9 distributor but the design of the 4bbl intake did not lend itself to a simple modification.

I have the original wiring harness and all of the related components from the Explorer for inclusion in the Alpine as necessary.

What I need most urgently is a really good readable wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance for help in this matter,

Tiger2Dan

Red GT Alternator fitting    20230201_101246.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really cool

Yes post all the pictures ya got in that build thread

What I need most urgently is a really good readable wiring diagram.
Check the link in this thread that someone posted just yesterday. I haven’t looked at it so can’t vouch for it...
Sweet project, welcome to the forum.

What year is your pushrod and wiring harness?

1992 FORD Explorer 4.0 OHV V6 mated to an A4LD.

I have a 4BBL intake fabricated by my Engineer/Draftsman/Laser Buddy

The above pictures depict some of the Project Start up. I have lots more....But I am sure you Guys are more interested in the Explorers than my Sunbeam Project.

I'll try to keep on track with the 4.0 V6 wiring that is needed to amke this thing work.

Remember the 4.0 does not have a distributor. I am lacking on understanding the computer stuff.

The wiring harness is from the original Explore that the engine was removed from. It is all there and looks like a night mare to me.

I have another Alpine that is getting the 4.0 OHV V6 burtr it will have the factory FI if I can figure way to get the engine loweredd enough to only have a rather small hood scoop and it does not look like a Blower coming down the road.

This project is sure to annoy some European sports car purists, its is totally awesome.
Donald. I already have a V6 Alpine on the road since 2010. It has the 2.8 FORD installed form components I design and sell for others like mined Alpine Owners

Blue Boys Drivers side view            606.jpeg

Blue Boys Engine Compartment, Custom Valve Covers, Radiator overflow tank etc         636.jpeg

Blue Boys Front view       611.jpeg

Blue Boys GT Steering wheel and Dash    651.jpeg

DanR and his Blue Boy V6 - Columbia, SC April 2023    IMG_0015.jpg

That's definitely really cool
Any help you need with wiring or computer related issues
I'm sure we can help here

I have a Ford wiring and vacuum troubleshooting manual book like this one, but for my 1994 Explorer. They are very helpful and have the entire wiring in easy to trace diagrams. I had to rewire nearly my entire Explorer when it had a electrical fire. A book like this made it a lot easier.

Back