4.0L engine dies after a long hot trip. It never dies in town or in the winter. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L engine dies after a long hot trip. It never dies in town or in the winter.

mikboa

Reaction score
City, State
Craig, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Aerostar
'95 Aerostar. For two summers now when we take a 2 to 3 hour trip in 85+ degrees weather and we slow down or stop the van dies and will not start till we wait for awhile. Also if we wait longer the van will continue to run longer but we give us problems till night. We sheilded the fuel lines around the engine. One other thing, this past weekend we had the problem in Fort Collins and nursed it up Cameron pass we reached the summit about night fall, went down the pass and drove 110 more miles with no troble! Any ideas???? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BrooklynBay for replying!
It cranks good, I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on for approx 3 secs. Battery teminals look good. I don't even know how to get the engine codes. More info. When this happens the van starts chugging and the engine will even knock some before it dies (10 to 15 secs). Also, when we had this problem I removed the outlet hose of the fuel filter and when I did this air and gas shot out at may be 20 psi. Should the fuel pump run when I have the outlet line off the filter?

The PCM only allows the pump to run for a few seconds when the vehicle is off, and the key is in the on position. Check the sticky threads in the EEC-IV section for information on reading EEC-IV codes. You could jump the connection with a piece of wire to count the check engine light flashes.

BroklynBay,
Forgive my ignorance but I just joined this forum today. I looked at the "sticky threads" on the front page of Aerostar Forum but did not see any about "EEC-IV" section.

I had the same symptoms/problem untill I installed new O2 sensors. Good Luck!

Just don't let that engine get hot! Those heads will crack. It happened to me and I had to get new heads http://www.kingcylinderheads.com/ Fortunately I found good quality heads from those guys. After that I was back up and running with no trouble. But be careful of your engine temperature. Good luck!

Back