• Register Today It's free!

4.0L exhaust

JDT

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB
So in a week or two im gettin an exhaust put on my 2002 explorer eddie bauer 4.0 V6, and i was gonna get a high flow muffler, or a glasspack, but im not shure how that would sound o the V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

youtube... is going to give you the best idea...

are you replacing just the muffler or true catback exhaust ?

Definitely check youtube. I have to recommend the Flowmaster 40 because that's what I have.

And Caldwell, since you're here, I've been reading and thinking about doing the 2.5" exhaust pipe as you have done, and then I thought since my Flowmaster is 2.5" in/out, why not do 2.5" from the y-pipe to the muffler, then 3" from the muffler out the back? Do you think that would be a good idea, or would it not make much of a difference since it already has to run through the 2.5"?
Also, my dad has a 1955 American LaFrance fire truck I've been meaning to post up pics of, being a fireman and all I thought you could probably appreciate it.

Kstrayhorn....

I would recomend going with 2.5'' exhaust piping for your 4.0, even some of the V8 boys such as Zerodevil, and Limited02 are running 2.5'' systems. I think you'll be quite suprised what 1/4'' larger piping will do to your X's performance...

i would def like to see a pic of the Truck you were talking about also

I personally love the way my 2.5" pipe and goerlich xlerator straight thru dual in/single out muffler sounds. Plus it really opened it up and it flies now. No loss of lower end torque either.

It's pretty loud when you mash the accelerator but nice and quiet cruising. at idle its got a nice little rumble.

Kstrayhorn....

I would recomend going with 2.5'' exhaust piping for your 4.0, even some of the V8 boys such as Zerodevil, and Limited02 are running 2.5'' systems. I think you'll be quite suprised what 1/4'' larger piping will do to your X's performance...

i would def like to see a pic of the Truck you were talking about also

How much did it cost you?

Yeah, I was at least planning on doing 2.5" pipe, all the way, but since the outlet on the muffler was already at 2.5", it wouldn't be that hard to run 3" pipes from the muffler back, but since the y-pipe is like 2.25", I didn't want to run 3" from there to the muffler, if that makes any sense at all. I just didn't know if since it would be 2.5" from the y to the muffler, if it would make any difference running 3" instead of 2.5" from the muffler out the back.

As for the truck, I didn't think 4 pics warranted a new thread, and I didn't want to contaminate this thread with irrelevant pics, so I just put some links here:
http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/abandoneantler/?action=view&current=102_0729.jpg
http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/abandoneantler/?action=view&current=102_0731.jpg
http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/abandoneantler/?action=view&current=102_0732.jpg
http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/abandoneantler/?action=view&current=102_0733.jpg

Sorry for all the junk in the pics, it is currently covered in all kinds of junk from around the shop. As for the truck it is a 1955 American LaFrance 700 pumper series originally from Libertyville, IL until it was sold to a fire station in Washington Island, WI. After that, it was sold to a collector in Fort Smith, AR and ultimately acquired by my dad and a partner. We ended up taking a trip up to Libertyville and Chicago and met with this particular truck's original crew, which was pretty cool.Now back to exhaust conversation!

I'm cuttin out the third cat/resonator thing and puttin new piping from the y back, and thanks for all the help

not a problem fella :thumbsup:

what muffler, are you going to install ?

I spent 400$ for my exhaust, to the question asked above, but shop prices will vary alot in pricing, the shop i went to is extremely reputable, and does a great job...

not a problem fella :thumbsup:

what muffler, are you going to install ?

That's the problem I'm not sure if I want a flowmaster 40, or a glass pack, cause I'm young so constant loudness dosent bother me.

That's the problem I'm not sure if I want a flowmaster 40, or a glass pack, cause I'm young so constant loudness dosent bother me.

I was thinking about getting a glasspack today but I'm not planning on getting rid of my 3rd cat/res

Zoso...

If your just planning on swapping out the muffler, and just want to run the factory exhast piping. It would be beneficial to you, if you remove the resonator. it will open up the exhaust a little bit more. you wont have as much noticable gains as a 2.5'' exhaust, but you may notice a little bit better performance overall, in stead of just noise more or less...

thats just my suggestion fella

Zoso...

If your just planning on swapping out the muffler, and just want to run the factory exhast piping. It would be beneficial to you, if you remove the resonator. it will open up the exhaust a little bit more. you wont have as much noticable gains as a 2.5'' exhaust, but you may notice a little bit better performance overall, in stead of just noise more or less...

thats just my suggestion fella

A few weeks ago I brought my x to the muffler shop and they lifted it up and told me that there was no resonator.

I actually just bought the glasspack. Its longer than my flowmaster 40 and hopefully I'll put it on with a friend tonight after church

look in the " gas mileage v6 x " or w/e its labeled... there are pics of my factory exhaust. my 05 didnt have a resonator at all, but my 03 did have a bulky resonator...

are you swapping the FM40 for the Glasspack ?

look in the " gas mileage v6 x " or w/e its labeled... there are pics of my factory exhaust. my 05 didnt have a resonator at all, but my 03 did have a bulky resonator...

are you swapping the FM40 for the Glasspack ?

Yes I am. I wasnt able to do it tonight because we were trying to pull out my friends tranny from his Z71

glasspacked 4.0?? post up a vid when u get that sucker in!

My FM50 SUV is plenty loud for me haha

glasspacked 4.0?? post up a vid when u get that sucker in!

My FM50 SUV is plenty loud for me haha

I'll try to find a camera. I might just run it straight piped if I like how it sounds when we get the fm 40 off. Btw my friend just got a set of those goodyear tires that you have on his Z71

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do not straight pipe a 4.0L

it sounds terrible, please stick with the FM40, or the glasspack...

Back