4.0L no muffler cat back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L no muffler cat back

I just wanted to post this, i had a flow master 40 for about 2 years...It was bareeeellyyy louder than stock. Had a small gurgle when you let off the throttle but the 250$ i had spent to get it put on was realllyyyy disappointing. So now that im not living in the heavy city anymore, i took the muffler back off, and just crush bent and mig'd a pipe to go out the side.

So stock up to the cat then straight out and all i have to say is WOW. cost was about 50$ in misc. stuff.

Looks a million times better than before, and sounds AWESOME. Ill get a video up in the next couple days.

It is not very loud when cruising at all and just has an amazing sound. When you do floor it it is loud. Not louder than any diesel on the road :p: or 350 chevy truck with duals. But it sounds great!

I hope i save someone the 200+$ on an exhaust when in reality with 3 cats the 4.0L is not very loud even without a muffler or resonator.

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went from straight pipes/glasspack only to the flowmaster 40 and it was very disappointing!!if it didnt cost so damn much i would have the flowmaster taken off and the glass pack put back on!!

can you get some vids. And is that a SOHC or OHV?

SOHC :)

yea i just hope i can save someone a little money, i take off in "2" and use 2nd around town and at 1500-2000rpm it sounds GREAT and isnt loud at all, but kick into first and floor it and wake up the hood.

I will get a video up maybe next week with some driveby's and what not. I feel pretty lame setting it on the ground and revving up as with no load on it it really doesnt sound quite the same.

jd did i hear yours with the glasspack on? i just got a flowmaster 50 suv and its way to quiet. i was thinking of a y-pipe after the cat and 2 glasspacks down to 2 tips. stupid or good idea?
yea you did.do cat to glasspack then to a y pie and dual tips.thats what i had
o and mr p thats a clean lookn truck:thumbsup:

cool i may do that then. cherrys are cheap.
now would cat > y-pipe > 2 cherrys > 2 tips sound any better maybe?

post a sound clip mr p.
i was mad at myself for not turning mine on when the guy left me with just a cat when i did mine. wish i had heard it

mine is quiet only because of the 3 cats, i know for a fact if i got a catless ypipe i would have to put a muffler on.

SOHC :)

yea i just hope i can save someone a little money, i take off in "2" and use 2nd around town and at 1500-2000rpm it sounds GREAT and isnt loud at all, but kick into first and floor it and wake up the hood.

I will get a video up maybe next week with some driveby's and what not. I feel pretty lame setting it on the ground and revving up as with no load on it it really doesnt sound quite the same.

Hey I know it way past next week.. You have a video of it that you can share.:D

Back