4.0L OHV to 4.0L SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L OHV to 4.0L SOHC

What would it cost to put an SOHC into a 1996 OHV Explorer? I found a 1999 XLT at a Junk Yard that was beaten in from the rear but the engine still runs, etc. I figure I'd have to replace a decent amount of trashed parts, but I could also salvage quite a lot. Just throw me a ball park figure of the conversion. I'm going to college, so buying a 2002 is out of the question... so far :) Oh yes, if you get Car and Driver, check the review on it this coming issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw a SOHC engine on Ebay for about $1500 a few months ago, guessing it'll be about the same from the junkyard. It uses the same motormounts and accessories, from what I hear; so you might not need to get stuff like the AC compressor or alternator if it'll save you some cash. Air intake is the same, forward of the TB. You'll probably need a new ECU. I don't know if the tranny bolts up the same, but I know the newer auto trannies have an extra gear, so a tranny swap might be needed or wanted. Exhaust manifold is different, so you might need to do a little fabbing to bolt up to your existing exhaust.

Overall, it should be pretty straightforward. The only major problems I see are the engine/tranny interface (or the tranny and the rest of the drivetrain) and the computer.

Are you going to do this yourself? If so, you can probably come in under $3500 with a new tranny. Installation would probably take a good shop about 2 days if everything is straightforward.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Oh, and don't bite my head off if I'm wrong about something ;)

Nevermind. :)

I realize $3500 is an estimate, but I'd have it done by a mechanic as I am not good at that kind of thing. I could probably save money by trading mine in and using that $3500+ (as a mechanic would charge labor) on a used 1998 or so. I've seen nice XLTs locally in the low to mid twenties with minimal-medium mileage (15000-25000). Thanks for the insight Alec.

Of course, they're always option #2 - win the lottery and buy 2 2002s. One for off road, one for sunny day on road. :)

Thanks again.

I saw a SOHC on Ebay for 900 today- I didnt get the url but a search of 4.0 Ford should bring it up.

I would think that a swap of this type would be best done with the whole drive train and computers. So it would make it prohibitive $$ wise.
The other way to do it would be to use just the engine ah\nd get an electronics guru to do a custom interface- it would be all custom so $$$$. Easier to trade in an earlier model and buy a SOHC fromthe dealer IMO.

Just my thoughts.

You could make up the difference in HP between the OHV and the SOHC for much much less then swapping the motors.

Just a thought.

Cameron,or anyone: what are some cost effective ways to make up the 45 horsepower difference between the DOHV and SOHC?

You can make up the 45 hp difference, but it still wouldn't be the same. I'd take a SOHC if I could do it. There is one at $900 one on E-bay.

Yeah, I talked to the guy selling the SOHC on ebay. He said will not work in anything other than a 99-00 Explorer, without major modifications. Too cost prohibitive, as stated earlier here.

Cost effective? That's a bit ambiguous. Cost effective for me may not be worth it for you.

But here are some things that come to mind:

Venom programmable nitrous system. Will give you 10 to 175 HP depending on the settings and your motor's ability to handle it. About $1200

Install forged pistons (12 to 1), competition connecting rods, balanced crankshaft, Hi Pro cam. less then $2000 (assuming you do the assembly yourself) You'll have 12 to 1 compression ratio. As a rule of thumb, and mind you this is a rough rule at that, for every point you increase your compression (going from 9:1 to 10:1 is a move of one point), you'll add 10% more HP. Now that being said, if you had a 170 HP V6 and added the new heads that added 1 point, you would have roughly 187 HP. Add 2 points and you would have about 206 HP. Add 3 points and you're at 226 HP. Now again, I emphasize that this is a rule of thumb. Every engine is different in exactly how much gain you'll get per point.

Do all of the above and you'll have a great motor for about $3200 if you have a manual transmission you'll be fine for up to 300 HP (I'm assuming) but if your trans is an automatic it would require some strengthening.

Anyway, just a thought.

P.s. The prices are based on Venom's web site and Vanir's web site.

Venom Dead Link Removed

Cameron:

I can see the case for building up an OHV motor vs. swapping for an SOHC. On the other hand (having owned a '91 and '95 OHV, and now a '98 SOHC) I think the SOHC is vastly superior. It runs much smoother, has a lot more HP and a fair amount more torque, and best of all the magnificent 5 speed AOD transmission. For most people a swap to a stock SOHC with the tranny will be a smoother, more reliable, more maintainalbe package than a beefed up OHV motor with bolt on's like nitrous.

Then again, my OHV motors only like to eat oil, where my SOHC motor seems to prefer it's cam chain tensionisers...

There is no doubt about it, the SOHC is a better and more powerful motor then the OHV. I was simply offering options. If I knew anything about Explorers before I got mine I would have looked for the SOHC. The only real advantage the OHV has over the SOHC is in high performance after market components. But I still would rather have the SOHC.

Just toss a supercharger on that ole OHV. That'll add some power!

Or a turbocharger Dead Link Removed

Back