4.0L oil leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L oil leak

Eric1971

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer
While changing the oil I was reminded that I have a very slow, minor oil leak from somewhere above the area of the oil filter. I only ever see it when I'm down there by the drain plug and filter. I've checked as much as I can and it does not seem to be the filter, filter adapter, drain plug, or oil pan/gasket. It looks like it's farther up than all those. I checked as best I could and don't see any leaks up top from the valve covers, or anything else I can see from the top, looking thoroughly with a light.

I'm betting one of you knows immediately where it probably is, or at least a few ideas where else to look.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

valve cover notorious for leaking in that area
IF you have confirmed it is NOT the oil filter adapter to engine O ring as is coming from higher up.

Ditto, snug the valve cover bolts, and the oil filter block adapter if you can. The VC gaskets are most likely, cork material doesn't seal long term very well.

Just sayin' - next time you're under there take a few pics to show us what you're seeing :)

Could be coming from closer to the front of the engine and being blown back while driving, but most likely valve cover.

Thanks, I'll check again, snug the VC bolts and try for pics. When I checked this morning it was dirty oil starting to form a drip on the drain plug, so I think it's a slow journey from the leak source since it's had clean oil in there since Sunday.

Back