4.0L SOHC, lower casting bolts TTY? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC, lower casting bolts TTY?

codysmith105

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I need to know if the eight larger bolts holding the lower casting which includes the oil pan (I'd love to know the proper name of that part, block cradle?) are TTY?

The bolts that go into these holes:

gergregre.PNG

Part numbers would also be amazing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are the main caps, they hold the crankshaft in place. I am finding mixed info on these but the consensus is that they are TTY.
I read that they can be reused up to 5 times but on something that important I would just replace them for peace of mind.
YMMV

I think I may have stated this wrong. I don't have the block cradle off yet. Based on that excellent post it seems they are not TTY.

Engine block cradle (upper oil pan): (E/MWM)
...Inside bolts: Step 1: 11 lb-ft, Step 2: 24 lb-ft
...Perimeter bolts/nuts: 80 lb-in
...Threaded inserts: 27 lb-in
...Torx bolts: 71 lb-in
...Bell housing (lower rear) bolts: 32 lb-ft

Any other questions will be great
The forum is happy to help

This forum has been excessively helpful. Thanks guys, I'm giving back the best I can.

Yeah sorry about that
Now that i look harder at the pic i guess you aren’t talking about main cap bolts.
My bad

those are the main cap bolts that are circled they have a straight torque value so not torque to yield torque to yield has a torque value plus turn so many degrees
roscoe

Back