4.0L SOHC V-6 Question

Bobbylew

Reaction score
City, State
Pisek, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hi, Folks,

I'm looking at a 2000 Explorer XLT in very clean and straight shape for cheap. "Minor" problem....the owner says it needs a new timing chain and is not running. It quit just as he rolled into his driveway.

Now, for the dumb question. Is the SOHC engine an interference motor? My guess is that it is an interference engine and damage to the pistons/valves has happened. I talked to my buddy in town, who runs a shop and he said he's heard both, but I'm inclined to believe that chains would not be installed on a "free-wheeling" engine.

Does anyone have a "for sure" answer on this? I'd sure appreciate anything you have, if you are certain.

Thanks And Best Regards,

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, It is an interference engine. The valves are probably bent. It would be cheaper to find a used replacement engine for it unless you can do all the work your self.

Yes it is interference and yes it has internal damage. Fixing it will be well into four digits -- so it is hardly a "minor" problem. Walk away.

the engine is now a ball of junk. truck is worth scrap value unless you have another engine ready to drop in.

Thanks everyone! My friend has since gotten in two, 2005 Explorers. One is a Sport Track and the other is an XLT. Both have the same "minor problem". Seems like the SOHC is about a 100,000 mile engine, as both are around the 120,000 mile mark. Too bad. Nice units.

Thanks everyone! My friend has since gotten in two, 2005 Explorers. One is a Sport Track and the other is an XLT. Both have the same "minor problem". Seems like the SOHC is about a 100,000 mile engine, as both are around the 120,000 mile mark. Too bad. Nice units.

Not true. There are a couple of threads on here about "how many miles does your Ex have". There are LOTS of 4.0 SOHC Explorers with 200,000+ miles on them. Some even approaching 300,000. Craigslist is loaded with Explorers with 180,000+ miles. Yes, there is an issue with the timing chains, but it doesn't affect all of them, especially if they're maintained properly.

Valves bent. Time for a new engine, better time to walk away.

I've got 182K+ on my second 4.0L SOHC XLT 4x4. Got 96k out of the first. That said... yes I know that I'm on borrowed time. I have not really babied it but I have properly maintained the vehicle. Regular oil, fluids, etc at proper intervals, and I fix what breaks or needs service. No timing chain issues or strange sounds so far. Never really busted a trail but have had it off road at times, and a few winters in Oregon and Tennessee.
I'll drive it till she gives up the ghost. Probably get another at that point.

Chef Duane
Plano, TX.

Thats the only plague on the 4.0 is this timing chains. If your still wanting a explorer go with 5.0 engine its strong and will run forever I currently have 155k on mine and no issues out of it yet except for normal wear items. Its 16 years old and spent most of its life in the rust belt till I moved to Texas.

For the right price, I would have no problem buying a SOHC Explorer that needs to be fixed.

Back