4.0l SOHC V6 4x4 Engine Crisis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0l SOHC V6 4x4 Engine Crisis

Shoobie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger
So I'm really new at this whole working on cars thing and I'm sort of in a huge crisis. I spent most of my money on a 2003 Ranger 4.0l SOHC v6 4x4 w/ 106k miles on it. Then right around 108k miles, the timing chain guides started to rattle to high heaven. I don't really have the equipment or experience to fix the timing chain and I've been told that dropping a different used engine would be around the same cost. It would really screw me over though if I bought another 2003 engine and the timing chain guides wore out again.

So my question is... if I hypothetically bought a used engine that's maybe 2006 or newer, would that fit in my truck? Also, do you all have any recommendations for where I could get an engine online w/ a warranty? Do you think it would be best for me to suck it up, buy the equipment to fix the timing chain and try to do it myself even though I have zero experience with internal engine work?

Any advice on what to do would be really appreciated as I'm a broke college student who needs a reliable vehicle for work.

Many posts on it. Any 4.0SOHC will work. Mustang, Ranger, explorer, sport trac, land rover. They were around up to 2010. The newer the better. You just need to swap some items off your engine to the donor.

I've read that in other posts here and on Ranger-Forums but it makes me feel way better about buying a different engine now that someone has told me explicitly that it will work.

Thanks, Tech by trade. Do you recommend any places getting an engine? I've read that I should check my local scrap yard but I've also heard about people buying engines off of ebay. Do you have any experience buying engines online?

Nope, We have government insurance up here (SGI). I will usually go through their wrecking yards first for any newer vehicles that I have owned. They post a lot of their stock online. You can get a mustang 4.0 for around a grand Canadian all they way to around 2k for one from an exploder. I don't know why but that's the way it is for some reason. Being government owned, I think they just pull values out of a hat instead of having a realistic idea of value.

Back