• Register Today It's free!

4.10 gear ratio???

beast

Reaction score
City, State
Mukilteo, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hey guys, Just wanted some input. I dont know much about gear ratios. So I am wondering what would be the best gear ratio for my 92 X on 32x10.50s (read sig)? What can I expect as far as driveability on the road with 4.10 for example (I keep the X on the road all the time just looking for some more power/performance)? MPG, speed, handling, spinning tires, what can I expect? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, with such big tires, a 4.10 LSD can definitely help ya out. But since this is a fairly low ratio, you will lose gas mileage since your engine will spin faster on the highway than higher ratio (with my stock 30" tires, my tach shows 3000rpm at 70mph). In terms of handling, there shouldn't be any difference. You can definitely spin your tires, but I couldn't ever do that even with my stock tires. Your top speed will be lowered but I wouldn't push it to its top speed anyway.

I'm sure others will chime in and give more info in detail. If anything I said is false, then please correct me. :)

I dont think you will lose much if any gas mileage as the lower gears just make up for the bigger tires. For 32" tires 4:10's are good recomended gear to go with.

32s with 4.10s will be fine..... there wont be issues with excessive gas loss or not able to reach max speed, becasue i had 3.73s in my 94 X with 31s and was still able t ogo faster than 100mph, and there really is no need to do much faster.... 4.10s and 32 will be fine... if you think about it, some of the newer rangers with the offroad package have 4.10s and tires equivalent to around a 31/32.... they have 245/75/16

What ratio do you have now?

You may increase gas milage by allowing the engine to run at more efficient speeds. I regeared with 33s from 3.73 to 4.56 ratio. Mileage increased about 2 miles per gallon.

unclemeat said:
What ratio do you have now?

You may increase gas milage by allowing the engine to run at more efficient speeds. I regeared with 33s from 3.73 to 4.56 ratio. Mileage increased about 2 miles per gallon.

unclemeat- Where did you get your regeared at? I am wanting to regear mine with 4.10s and possibly a LS in the rear. Thanks

-Drew

I saw a chart on-line, someplace, that showed ~2500 rpm at 70 mph with 32s and 4.10 diff ratio.

Thanks guys. Well as far as what ratio I have now I'm not sure, but on the door it says "D-4" under axle so I don't know what that corresponds to. One of the two Randy's Ring and Pinion shops in the country is about 3 miles from my house so maybe i'll check with them.

I've heard the difference between a 3.73 and a 4.10 is pretty little. I think you'll be better off with 4.56 then.

ExplorerDMB00,

Four Wheel Drive Specialties on Broad Street did the work. I got a front diff with a truetrack and a 4.56 ratio from Isles4ever and had to regear the rear. They aren't to bad on labor but they are retail plus 25% on parts. I use them cause they are close to home and I don't have a lot time to shop who is cheapest.

Do you think limited slip makes any difference for on-road use?

Back