4.10 issues???

PFC WHITE

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER XLT
looking to go to from the terrible 3.55 OPEN diff to around a 4.10 with a LS,
any issues to look out for? its going to be a PITA but also worthy of the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really sure but only thing I heard of is 4.10s won't fit in a 3.55 carrier, but they will fit in a 3.73.

Your best bet is the LS 3.73 rear end, has great gas mileage and feels really nice on the 4.6L just make sure the clutch packs and spindle gears are replaced, basically a full rebuild to prevent that God forsaken vibration.

Pretty sure that the 3.73/3.55 share the same carrier on the 8.8 diff. Front one is different between 3.55 and 3.73.

PFC there aren't any 4.10 diffs you can swap in from another 3rd gen explorer....might be able to find a good 3.73 at the pick and pull....if you're planning on just running stock size tires it will be cheaper. it would be good to have it looked over and maybe have the ls clutches and bearings changed out. Bigger tires...go ahead and regear your existing one to 4.10 with all new bearings and a limited slip.

Ronin I need to do exactly that with mine, towing package so I have the 3.73 axles but I am running 31s so I want to get 4.10 with maybe even some Torsens. Gonna be wicked pricey and a lot of work though...

YUKON GEARS< I've been researching gear change for my 04 which has 8.8 rear and 30 front from FORD, Yukon has always been rock solid in the past for me on all my trucks, this week we were at the diesel nationals and Yukon was there rep to me 3.55 carrier can handle the 3.90's or the 4.10's. right know Charlotte has 32" general grabbers so were swapping from 3.55's to the 3.90's, and that's with the 4.0L modified pushing 300hp.

Back