• Register Today It's free!

4.10s or 4.56s????

91'explorer 2wd

Reaction score
City, State
McAllen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
i was looking into gears for my 8.8 ford rear axle, what disadvantages are there to the 4.56,i know since it's my daily driver i should get 4.10's but it's only like $20 more bucks for them 4.56 gears. and what advantages would them 4.10's have over 4.56???:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, are you gonna stay with those 31s, or are you going bigger? What gear do you have in there now?

is there any point in changing gears with stock tires?

Originally posted by dec322
is there any point in changing gears with stock tires?

with only stock tires there isnt too much point changing gears....

91X2wd, i would get the 4.56s --you know that when you do get those 4.10s youll be happy for awhile but then kick yourself in the head asking "Why didn't I get the 4.56s?!"

Depends what size tire you want to run and also how fast do you like to cruise at on the freeway. If you plan on stayin with 33's or smaller 4.10's would be fine. If you want 35's you should get the 4.56's. Also if you enjoy cruising at 70mph at 3000 rpms then go for the 4.10's. Not sure what the rpms would be for 4.56's but it would be alot higher. A bunch of people on this site has 4.56's maybe one of them will reply.

Back