• Register Today It's free!

4*4 not engaging.??? 98XLT V6

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Today the 4*4Hi and Low Light’s started blinking at me, and I was unable to engage 4*4Hi or low. :thumbdwn:

The 4WD light’s flash at a rate of 6 Blink’s every 2 minutes. I.E The light’s Blink 6Times then after 2 minutes they blink another 6 times. It did it for the whole 4hour trip home.

The last time I used 4WD was 3 day’s ago and both Hi and Low range worked perfectly, then this morning when I started the car the 4WD light’s started blinking at me and I couldn’t engage 4WD :confused: which put a end to the day’s 4WDing for me.

It’s a 98XLT 4WD 4.0Ltr V6 SOHC 130,000k’s (82,000 miles) anyone know what has happened (Dose this Blinking light sequence indicate anything specific)?? Where should I start looking??

I will check the fuses first thing tomorrow, as I have only just got home and it’s dark and I am a bit tired.

The “TOD” System is still operating thou.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blinking light tells you there is a stored error code. Unfortunately it doesn't blink in a sequence that tells you anything. You may want to take a look under there and make sure everything is plugged in, and nothing looks out of place. Can you hear a clicking from the rear of the truck, or from benethit, when you try and switch it from 2wd to 4wd? Or do you have 4auto-4high-4low? I misunderstood the TOD system is stil working, so I assume it is always in 4wd.

I have the Auto/4WDHI/4WDLow selector switch; Auto is “TOD” Toque on demand I.E Moves Power to the front when slip is detected at the rear, This still work’s as far as I can tell, but if you try and Put it into 4*4 Hi or Low Nothing happens the shift motor makes no noise.

It was all working fine 3 day’s ago when I used both 4WD Hi and low, then this morning when I stated it up the Error light just started flashing and it will not go into 4WD.

I stuck my head under the car when this happened just to make sure the Electrical connector’s where plugged in, and they where. So I can’t figure out why it would of stoped working?????

It should only have to shift when selecting low. 4auto-4high is done through the tod clutch recieving constant power and locking up. Did you check the fuses?

Well it’s working agene.

I Pulled the fuses and reinstalled, disconnected the electrical connection to the shift motor and gave the motor a couple of sharp tap’s with a Blunt object sprayed the electrical connection with CRC plugged it back together and it worked.

I shifted it in and out of 4WD Hi and Low 4 times with no problems, there is a slight clunk sound when it shift’s from LOW to Auto and I don’t think it did that before, Is this a warning sigh of thing’s to come???

If the fault’s has been fixed, if I take it down to ford can they still pull the Error code from the Computer, I would like to know what the fault was just to be sure it wasn’t just dumb luck that I fixed it.

The shift from low to high should be audible. Mine made a clunk/thump sound as it shifted. As long as it shifts in a timely manner you're probably ok. I would think the codes would be stored in the memory.

Back