4.5 suspension lifted 05 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.5 suspension lifted 05 explorer

I guess that mounting the upper A-arms on the lower side of the bracket idea that I was talking about isn’t recommended. I was trying to find the post of the guy who did it but found this one saying not to do it:
throw the lowering the upper control arm idea out the window!

Since you are using 4th generation lower arms on a 3rd gen vehicle to get more lift, maybe it would be different though? You just have to keep the upper and lower control arms at parallel angles to avoid problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im just using the knuckle assembly it fits just like the 3rd gen. Im also using the tie rod ends too the lower control arms won't fit because they bolt up a different way

I also was thinking that maby i could use the ranger upper control arms because they are 15" accross and the stock arms are 17" but the pivot arm will go thru both the bushing holes and i think the explorer ball joint will fit in the ranger arms

I also was thinking that maby i could use the ranger upper control arms because they are 15" accross and the stock arms are 17" but the pivot arm will go thru both the bushing holes and i think the explorer ball joint will fit in the ranger arms
I’m not being a jerk, I’m just worried about your safety.

Do you understand the basics of Caster, Camber, Toe in and Toe out?

I would think that the Ranger arms could screw up the caster of the front wheels. Just because the ball joint fits, it doesn’t mean it’s in the correct location for proper caster and camber.

Also, looking at your pictures, I don’t see your front axles. Did you remove them, or is this a 2WD?

Its 4wd they are just hidden in those
What is hiding the front axle in the close up view from the rear.

I asked because I wanted to see the angle of the CV joints. Those lower arms are almost bottomed out, no? If you don’t drop the front diff somehow, you will eat them up quickly.

Here is almost the same pic on my ‘02 with 2” spacer lift. You can see that my CV joints are a bit farther off axis, but not too bad (and the axle is pretty visible).

What is hiding the front axle in the close up view from the rear.

I asked because I wanted to see the angle of the CV joints. Those lower arms are almost bottomed out, no? If you don’t drop the front diff somehow, you will eat them up quickly.

Here is almost the same pic on my ‘02 with 2” spacer lift. You can see that my CV joints are a bit farther off axis, but not too bad (and the axle is pretty visible).

Alright 2 inch spacer + 06-10 explorer front struts which lift it 2.5 more inches. I know my axle joints are at its max and im trying to figure out drop downs for front diff and lower arm and notice too the knuckle, spindle and tie rod ends are also off of an 06-10 explorer and i know my knuckle is stilk hitting the spring. Was thinking maybe extended ball joints?

Messaging1542487455328.jpg

I also lowered the upper control arm which was a bad idea because these upper arms are too weak for my lift because i took out the pivot arm not intentionally but im hoping when i get the btf arms they'll work better with this idea

Messaging1542488842549.jpg

Messaging1542488863163.jpg

I also lowered the upper control arm which was a bad idea because these upper arms are too weak for my lift because i took out the pivot arm not intentionally but im hoping when i get the btf arms they'll work better with this idea

View attachment 164924

View attachment 164925
Man, that ball joint angle is really unsafe.... I would not drive daily with it. If the ball joint fails you will lose control of the vehicle. Stay off the highway.

The CV joint angle is going to wear out super fast like that, and may fail under hi-torque climbing.

I would say you have pushed the suspension past safe limits.

I achieved about 6+ inches of lift over stock with a 3” body lift, 2” suspension lift, and 32” tires. IMO anything past 2-1/2” on the suspension is too much.

Well im not that worried about the ball joint i know its at a bad angle but its not going to break. Im still considering the extended ball joint option and ranger upper arms. I just need a longer throw. I want to try the ranger arms before i get the btfs they don't cost much either

But the 06-10 knuckle, spindle is not the same height as the 02-05 because the ride height is taller than the 02-05 so it does relieve some stress off the arm

That ball joint angle is terrible, regardless of what spindle you have. You can’t magically predict the ball joint will not fail, but I would be more concerned about it being ripped out of the control arm, especially with the added leverage of the longer spindle.

If that was my truck I wouldn’t drive it like that.

Be safe.

I know im not driving it daily just short distances because i know its bad to drive like that but i wish there was an easy way i can get the front and rear arm drop downs like duner’s lift because it's stupid to not have a kit like the other trucks have when there's duner where he can 3d print a kit for it. How are people with these explorers not likely to lift them like other trucks when this is a full frame explorer and the 3rd and 4th gen will be a gem in the future because the remakes of explorers are ****ty. I like the body style but its not a full frame anymore. They are as good as escapes now or not as good as they should be now. Really grinds my gears lol

I know im not driving it daily just short distances because i know its bad to drive like that but i wish there was an easy way i can get the front and rear arm drop downs like duner’s lift because it's stupid to not have a kit like the other trucks have when there's duner where he can 3d print a kit for it. How are people with these explorers not likely to lift them like other trucks when this is a full frame explorer and the 3rd and 4th gen will be a gem in the future because the remakes of explorers are ****ty. I like the body style but its not a full frame anymore. They are as good as escapes now or not as good as they should be now. Really grinds my gears lol
Here's my take on Duner's lift.

If his design was safe and reliable I'm sure he would have sold the plans. I'm sure there is a reason that 'Big Name' lift kit companies don't invest in these vehicles, the return on their up front R&D investment would take forever due to low demand.

No disrespect to Duner, but if it was as simple as just dropping some components I'm sure someone would have snatched up his design.

Have you thought about down travel? Like hitting a pothole? You hit one in one of the front tires and instead of your suspension going down the entire truck will go down in that corner.

My wife's 2004 has the ranchos on it but no spacers. I could see adding a little spacer on top when the shocks sag but not the largest one you can get from the get-go.

I dig Duners lift, it's much safter than ranchos and spacers. It's not mass produced because of demand. The 02-05 is it's own rare suspension, there's no major market for it. Rise makes the big lift for the IRS expeditions. Ive worked on an expedition with it before, It's also the only one I've seen around with the kit. The truck has a whole raptor conversion on it too, it's all over Instagram and the interweb.

I think it's total bull **** that no companies make that because it would be safe. How wouldn't it be safe. How are lift kits for other trucks safe?? Seriously and if someone has a cad program they could easily make it work because again it's total bullishit. These are trucks fully in and out

Please do not operate this vehicle on public roads as is. If your not concerned for your own safety, at least consider the innocent people that share the roads.

Hobble together a trail rig that gets towed on a trailer, if your wanting to modify something, that is not safe for road use.
The extent others have taken to make a vehicle safe, is not only for your sake, but for others as well. Your believing your guiding a 2.5 ton missile down a road safely, but in reality, your barely in control, and can take out others in a heartbeat. Once something happens, your not in control at all.

I am not against lifting vehicles. I lift vehicles. I use lifted vehicles, and only lift them safely as possible. I also mind how they are used in it's surroundings.
I am against seeing them on the road thrown together, with no sense of responsibility. Operating a normal vehicle has life & death consequences, and changing the dynamics of the engineered suspension, just increases the odds.

The only way to actually safely lift an Independent Suspension rig as high as your wanting, is to remove (torch) all of it, and add front & rear straight axles.

I think it's total bull **** that no companies make that because it would be safe. How wouldn't it be safe. How are lift kits for other trucks safe?? Seriously and if someone has a cad program they could easily make it work because again it's total bullishit. These are trucks fully in and out
I'm sure someone with a mechanical engineering masters degree and specializes in suspensions could develop a safe and reliable kit for on-road use.

I'm a manufacturing engineer with years of AutoCAD training, but I'm no suspension expert, and would only try things like you mention on a trail truck, not one that shares the highways with other vehicles.

Regardless of all that, as I have already told you, you have pushed the suspension past what is considered safe. There is a picture on this forum somewhere showing how a ball-joint was actually ripped right out of the control arm, and I believe that was only with 3" of lift. When a failure like that occurs you will lose control of the vehicle. Even at city street speeds, that could be disastrous if it causes you to veer off into oncoming traffic, or a populated sidewalk.

Please, for your own safety if not for other's, take the above advice. I commend the effort so far but you have to understand the limits of the vehicle you are working with. Your limits exceed the limits of your truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A failure at any speed can be catastrophic depending on where you are and what is around. Everyone that drives a modified (lifted or re-powered) vehicle is increasing the risk of a failure happening. People wreck and die from blow outs and suspension failures on stock vehicles, and you are way past stock. While you feel you have the skills to recognize and deal with a failure, could you honestly live with yourself if you couldn't and someone else perished? Forums are great sounding boards ideas and the voice of reason. While you are applauded for your efforts, those voices of reason are all saying too far. Please heed them.

Back