• Register Today It's free!

4.6 3v whine

smokebanshee

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Explorer Limited 4.6
Hello all, I just purchased a high milage (105k) '08 Explorer Limited w/ the 4.6 3v. When I test drove it I noticed a whine that sounded exactly like a PS pump whine coming from the drivers front (pump area) of the engine. I bought the truck so cheap this did not concern me if I had to put a pump on it. Well after investigating further, I do not think it is the pump at all, it seems to be coming from under the drivers front valve cover(front by timing chain/gear). When I put my stethascope on the pump, it is quiet, when I touch the valve cover, it is very loud, and it is only there, nowhere else. I have done alot of research on timing chain, giude, tensioner, phaser noises but none of them match my noise. There is NO tapping, knocking, or metalic noises at all, just a steady whine like a PS pump. I have pulled the belt and checked the two idlers that are in the area and they seem fine. Im stumped, please help!!

maybe air conditioner,alternator or idler bearings, try removing the serpentine belt and run truck for 5 to 10 seconds and see if noise is gone.

I second vipers suggestion, run the truck without the belt for a few seconds, if there is no noise, then you know the noise is being caused by an accessory, mostly likely the power steering pump.

I'm also familiar with using a stethoscope, you have two options, use the metal probe, or take the probe off and use the cone part to listen to a wider but still limited range, I suggest using the latter, because a lot of times you wont hear a power steering pump whine using the metal probe.

Let us know how it turns out, I have an '06 making a little whine from the ps pump, I just haven't had a chance to look at it...

Back