• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine Whine

bigA

Reaction score
City, State
Valrico, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
My engine has developed a noticeable whine while driving. It sounds very similar to the alternator whine that comes through the speakers when you have a grounding issue. It changes slightly with engine speed and tends to go away during acceleration. Replaced the tensioner and all the drive belt pulleys with no change. Disconnected the fan and fan clutch but still had the noise. I haven't replaced the water pump yet, but wanted to try and diagnose the problem without blindly swapping out parts again. Any ideas on what this might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do it while stationary, and increasing idle?
Could be the diff or gearbox playing up

You can hear it while it's in park, but I just can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

Power steering pump?

Pick up a mechanic's stethoscope, Check Amazon, or a local part's shop. It will let you narrow down the area where the sound is coming from.

Power steering pump?

If a PS Pump is so far gone you can hear it at idle, you will surely hear it when making the slightest of turns.

My mom had a similar issue where it almost sounded like a low rpm supercharger whine. New pulleys, tensioners, and belt solved that problem.

If a PS Pump is so far gone you can hear it at idle, you will surely hear it when making the slightest of turns.

My mom had a similar issue where it almost sounded like a low rpm supercharger whine. New pulleys, tensioners, and belt solved that problem.

OP said he's replaced all those and sound persists.

Could remove the belt and start the engine and see if the noise is still there. That would at least rule out pumps, pulleys and belt.

When my PS pump was on it's way out, the noise was always there but not as audible during acceleration. My mech. put a stethescope on it and isolated it to the PS pump. New pump and sound is gone.

Back