4.6 Explorer Humorous Fixes (But They Worked!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Explorer Humorous Fixes (But They Worked!)

jk7294

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited V8
Here are some of the interesting fixes I have had to do on my 2002 Explorer when I just have had no other option at the time. Broken EGR pipe while replacing your manifold, Hood support struts try to kill you because they no longer work, broke some plastic check valve thing in your heater hose and only have some mysterious plumbing objects?.... Snapped off that pesky exhaust manifold stud? No Problem, just search the garage for whatever you have! I still have no clue what this hollow plastic piece in the coolant line was for, you can see it in the picture sitting on top. And what is the hollow square box next to it that goes between the TB and intake hose? There is nothing in either of them that I have seen... Anyone else have some interesting emergency fixes? I have used my girlfriends panty hose as an emergency fan belt on an old Monte Carlo before. Also a cardboard milk container to make a Thermostat gasket.

EGRPipeFix.jpg

HeaterFix.jpg

ManifoldFix.jpg

ViceGrips.jpg

HeaterFix2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That hose on the EGR pipe will melt and become quite nasty... EGR temps are in the 100s of degrees F... How long has it been on ?

That hose on the EGR pipe will melt and become quite nasty... EGR temps are in the 100s of degrees F... How long has it been on ?
It is actually the 90 degree elbow hose off of the broken plastic check valve from the heater hose. It has not been on there for maybe about 45 days or so and when I first ran it a few times it did stink and melted a bit to the pipe, but like I said, when you are broke and have to fix something in a pinch it worked! I just drive a few miles at a time and I always check on it. It seems to be OK, but I will get the proper pipe for it when I can. I have been amazed that it has held up quite well.

Those EGR tubes just recently became available from Dorman. Amazon should have them, but they're not cheap.

I really dig the coolant line mod :thumbsup:

Those EGR tubes just recently became available from Dorman. Amazon should have them, but they're not cheap.

I really dig the coolant line mod :thumbsup:
About $73 on RockAuto. from Dorman, my fix is holding up for now. I just keep an eye on it. I only drive a few miles a day. I thought I would get more comments on the strange coolant hose fix than anything. It even has a valve that I can shut the flow off if I want, LOL.

I see you have never lived on a farm. if you have, fixes like this would be daily and common place. You would not believe the stuff that is running like this at my dads place. My favorite is the mobile welder he created from 4 old chrysler alternators for field fixes. Need more juice, just click in another alternator. Or the meat saw that uses a couple old dart braked drum as rollers. the ones that had the grove in them for the springs. Or the old dodge spray truck with the fenders cut out and surplus military carrier rims and tires, for clearance when out spraying. A John deere 4630 with 2 giant rads mounted on the roof so he can pull an old IH 1482 combine without overheating. Empty .22 casings make great plugs for vacuum lines that have been plugged from accessories that were removed long ago and forgotten. That's just scratching the surface.The poor old frankenstined vehicles, that want nothing but to die, but he will not allow them to.

So I was just doing the daily checks on my unconventional repairs until I can afford to fix them correctly and decided I was "Hangry" about a few things so I went to the store at 5 am and made "Garage Pot Roast" in the crock pot in the garage. Why do I have a crock pot in the garage? How did I cut the veggies and potatoes? How long does it take on low temp for it to cook when it is 24 degrees F in the Garage? Who knows? Mushrooms, Carrots, Potatoes, Beef Broth, Onions, 3 Lbs of Meat.. It is madness!!! I will tell you in about 10 hours.

GaragePotRoast.JPG

Back