4.6 GT throttle body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 GT throttle body

Alright I'm upgrading my intake to a MAC as well as upgrading the MAF and i want to upgrade the throttle body. I've looked for throttle bodys for a 2001 sport but have had trouble finding one. I stumbled across a post that talked about using an 70mm throttle body from a 4.6 GT and was wondering how much modification it would take to use that throttle body. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have thought of this myself since the 4.6 has a 65mm one just the same size as the 01 sport. The thing that is bad is the bolt holes don't line up so It won't bolt right up. I think if you make an adaprter plate that would make things work. Maybe someone could fab some up out of aluminum and sell them on here.

Didn't "Aldive" just recently do a writeup about using a 4.6L GT throttle body? Same engine as yours?

Slush Box said:
I have thought of this myself since the 4.6 has a 65mm one just the same size as the 01 sport. The thing that is bad is the bolt holes don't line up so It won't bolt right up. I think if you make an adaprter plate that would make things work. Maybe someone could fab some up out of aluminum and sell them on here.

Naw, the TB for a 4.6 bolts directly to the SOHC and works great.

JSUkid06 said:
I stumbled across a post that talked about using an 70mm throttle body from a 4.6 GT and was wondering how much modification it would take to use that throttle body.

None whatsoever; its a direct replacement.

Good deal thanks a lot aldive good write up. What is this i'm hearing about using a different gasket or something like that. Looks like I'm going shopping now for that new TB.

JSUkid06 said:
Good deal thanks a lot aldive good write up. What is this i'm hearing about using a different gasket or something like that. Looks like I'm going shopping now for that new TB.

No special gasket is needed; the stock gasket is fine.

Man I wish I would have never told any one about this mod, It was done on my truck first and this has been the biggest controversial subject on this explorer forums I've seen yet. I was the original one to figure out that this would work. 4.6L t\b will work on a 4.0; sohc no mods, no adapters, even the slots for gasket to fit only one way are the same. The tps is identical. As I posted earlier it won't work on a 4.0 push rod engine and a 5.0L t\b will not work on a 4.0L pushrod neither

jah81592 said:
Man I wish I would have never told any one about this mod, It was done on my truck first and this has been the biggest controversial subject on this explorer forums I've seen yet. I was the original one to figure out that this would work. 4.6L t\b will work on a 4.0; sohc no mods, no adapters, even the slots for gasket to fit only one way are the same. The tps is identical. As I posted earlier it won't work on a 4.0 push rod engine and a 5.0L t\b will not work on a 4.0L pushrod neither
Sounds Killer dude
but we have no dyno charts that prove the mod to be true, just word of mouth,It was dynoed today by aldive but the charts got messed up. you have any proof? that the mod indeed works? other than it bolts up
Just curious

When I dynoed I had JBA headers,70mm t\b,76mm c&l, MAC cai,MAC 3" catback exhaust. So will my gains be correct? probably not. I wouldn't see any more than a 5 hp increase(maybe if you are lucky) on a stock Ex. You would probably see a loss due to intake velocity losses. On the bolt on side like I had you probably would see 5-10 (everything being perfect). The only reason for this mod was I knew I would be turboing my Explorer. So my gains will probably be in the 10-15 hp @ 6# and 15-20 in the 10#+boost(at best) this being peak #'s only you will never see a 10hp gain all the way across the board. My recommendation would be if you have a stock or relatively stock Explorer spend your money elsewhere. The throttle response was really not much different,only up top did I notice a little "seat of the pants" difference. This is really a last ditch effort for the boosted crowd to get the little edge. If I were looking for a good bolt on go with the electric fan such as aldive did, will definately be you best bang for the buck
:)

for you guyz that did bolt on the 70 mm TB... do u feel it was a good buy and did u notice a dif in acceleration? whats the stock size throttle body this 70mm sounds huge

So the Ford Racing one works but will other aftermarket ones work like Accufab? I hear the best from them usually.

MadMike6786 said:
for you guyz that did bolt on the 70 mm TB... do u feel it was a good buy and did u notice a dif in acceleration? whats the stock size throttle body this 70mm sounds huge

Stock is 65mm.See my previous post.It should explain any ?'s. :p

I've tried out both the BBK 1700 and the Ford Racing one on my Ex with SOHC 4.0 (both are 70 mm TBs and are designed for the 4.6L V8s). I would have stuck with BBK exclusively, but the shyster that sold it to me on eBay neglected to mention that the idle adjustment screw was sheared off. I'm trying to get another screw from BBK right now. In the mean time, I found a good deal on the Ford Racing offering so I scored one and it's on my Ex now.

Some observations.

I don't think I achieved a lot in the way of HP but maybe a little. I felt the same way when I put a C&L MAF body on my Ex a few months back. I've heard others say I might lose a little bottom end, and that's possible. I do feel a bit less torque, but it might be psychological. However, I definitely feel a new smoothness in acceleration and a more lively feel at higher revs.

A downside I have found with both the BBK and the Ford is that my cruise control seems a bit whacked and I haven't spent much time trying to fix. When I set the speed I want to cruise at, it doesn't seem to hold that speed very well. When going up hills, it definitely drops a bit too. I'm still working on figuring out how to resolve that, but I don't use cruise much anyhow so it hasn't been a high priority item. If anyone has any theories as to why my cruise is wonky now, I'd love to hear them.

It's not the cheapest mod around, but I do like the change. I guess I just like to be different and as much as a lot of people are giving theoretical reasons why a larger TB is not an effective mod, I'm happy with this upgrade overall.

When/if I get another idle screw from BBK, I'll probably put it up for sale. I prefer the Ford offering because it does come with a TPS. However, it didn't come with hardware or a gasket. The BBK offering does, and it's also a nicer looking unit and seems more refined than Ford's. I'm not really worried about the cosmetics because the TB sits under the engine cover anyhow. My guess is that both BBK and Ford perform the same.

celly said:
I don't think I achieved a lot in the way of HP but maybe a little. I felt the same way when I put a C&L MAF body on my Ex a few months back. I've heard others say I might lose a little bottom end, and that's possible. I do feel a bit less torque, but it might be psychological. However, I definitely feel a new smoothness in acceleration and a more lively feel at higher revs.

A downside I have found with both the BBK and the Ford is that my cruise control seems a bit whacked and I haven't spent much time trying to fix.

I too am happy with mine and I do feel the smoothness you notice. However, where mine "feels" the best is the low end ( with no drop off anywhere ). Why? Who knows; it just does.

I have no problems with my cruise control and I use it all the time. Without seeing yours, I have no suggestions, Can you post a pic?

Glad its working for you too.

Al:

The cruise control looks normal. Not sure photos would show much. I hooked it up just as it was before. I'm going to do a 'what if' with the OEM TB when I get time to see if the TB is causing the problem, or if it's just the way I've got it hooked up or something. That's possible based on my past experiences as a sub-par mechanic. ;)

Post a pic of the cruise connection at the TB; maybe I can see whats amis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back