• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Upgrades???????

Jake DiBattisto

Reaction score
City, State
Hilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4.6
Hey Y'all i got a 3rd gen 4.6 and i wanna build this motor on a low budget my plans so far are exhaust (cut off after cat with flowmaster s44), cold air intake, performance plugs and wires, and maybe a tune but does bama offer a 4.6 sohc flasher??? I have one for my 96 gt but the motors are kinda different plus i want to get a cam. Any other suggestions??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exhaust after cat isn't going to do a whole lot just make it louder

cold air intake should help but a bunch of them require adjusting the tune

performance plugs and wires aren't going to give you anything, replace them with factory replacements

yes bama should offer you a tune for it if not them theres several others that will
a cam will require a re-tune to get it dialed back in correctly

Check out my registry thread (link in signature) for what I did with mine...

I have Comp XE262H cams in mine. I still need a proper tune to get the best out of them. Porting the heads made a huge difference, though I think the engine that's going in my 2004 (which came out of my 2003) will get MMR's stage 1 job instead of stage 2. Material removal generally equals loss of low-end torque. Not sure if I'm changing the cams in that one or not. Since it's intended to be an off-roader, my thought is that I should be able to run a stock tune for maximum reliability. Just haven't decided yet.

Thx Y'all i want a deep throaty, loud exhaust what should i do? Cut off before cats?????????

It'll certainly be loud (and obnoxious) if you do that, not to mention losing the environmental benefits (and federal legality) of the catalytic converters. My sound improved with the installation of the Magnaflow cats, but I would not recommend that simply as a sound improvement purchase because of the cost. If you need replacements because yours are fried, they're a great way to go. Otherwise, a cat-back kit or muffler and custom cat-back exhaust is your best bet. Flowmaster and Borla, along with glasspacks and the like, tend to be on the throaty side, while Magnaflow tends to be a little more subdued (which is what I'm after).

I don't believe Bamachips is in business anymore, but a lot of members, including me, have gone to Unleashed Tuning in Florida. I got an SCT iTSX and basically a mail-order tune from them, that I'm currently running.

Thx Y'all i want a deep throaty, loud exhaust what should i do? Cut off before cats?????????

Electric Diverters somewhere between the CAT's and the mufflers and a CAM.

Back